Greetings all,

I've been mulling over the idea of writing a simple single-user version control system designed particularly for binary files (like Xara images and other graphics) for the last few weeks (freeware of course - not looking to make money out of it).

What prompted this was the posts we seem to be getting here about XaraX crashing and work getting lost, and my first thought was that people should be using version control systems especially when the graphics they create are important client work that has taken ages to create.

I use version control software at work (since I'm primarily a web/application developer) and can't live without it. At home I just use naming conventions for diff versions of files (ie every significant change I make gets saved as a new version) - the problem with a lot of the enterprise level packages is that they are v. expensive.

I wondered whether people here do use this kind of software for Xara files, or simply use carefully named files. If anyone has any suggestions they'd be gratefully received (currently thinking along the lines of simple check in/out, backup to disk or ftp site, simple history features etc)

If anyone's interested I might get on and write it!

James