Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default PRO TIP 1 - Gradient Fills

As promised in my first Xara Xtreme Gallery posting, here is my first PRO TIP, aimed essentially at the vector art beginner.

This tip (hopefully) explains how I use TWO reference photographs to aid my drawing, and use to accurately sample gradient fills.

First, I import one copy of my reference photo, place it and reduce its transparency. This image is then LOCKED on its own layer.
    This is used as a template for my final image assembly.

Next, I import an identical 2nd image, place it at 100% transparency on another layer. This is my floating reference image that I move around the screen, often as close as I can to the working area.

Then, I draw my outlines - always using the SHAPE EDITOR TOOL and fill with a mid-range solid colour sampled form the floating image . From then on I usually trace individual shapes on the floating image, sampling any gradient fills after moving them into place on the main drawing. I usually create several fill points on the gradient (double click on the fill line) and use the EYE DROPPER TOOL to take samples from the floating image. After sampling, I manipulate the points up and down until they look something like the original.

Here a few screen snags to illustrate my technique. Believe me, the outlines on this drawing are very simple - it is the gradients that breathe life into the image.

Incidentally, I always take my own reference photos - so I can catch the best shadows and highlights.

I hope this insight is some help to newcomers - if more of the same will help - just ask.

Moderator- if this is posted in the wrong forum please remove it.

gbpatriot

Cheshire
    England
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camtut snag 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	25323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camtut snag 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	25324  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camtut snag 3 copy.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	25325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camtut snag 5 copy.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	25326