Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Hi all,

I've read two recent discussions about the (old) subject of non-antialiased fonts. In my opinion this is the most important omission in Xara X1. The reason is because I can't faithfully simulate a user interface without it: the vast majority of users don't use antialias on their screens (sorry, Gary http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif). I won't discuss the "legibility" issue, which is another subject that often gets mixed with the "simulation" issue which is my only concern. Other than that, needless to say, Xara does a terrific job as a web page prototyping tool.

I have created a "pixel" font to simulate 8 pt Tahoma which I will make freely available for everybody. This is by far the most used font in Windows systems out there. I was inspired by Sean Sedwards' work, of course, but I didn't have the time or skills to correct many imperfections so don't expect to find Sean's quality here. I used CorelDraw which is hardly the best font creation software available, but I wouldn't buy a tool just for that. Anyway it is pretty usable and indistinguishable from the real thing in most practical applications. It has accented characters like áéÃ*ÓÚ but no Bold version. See a sample below.

Click here to download the font: 8 pt HV Tahoma

Enjoy,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.gif 
Views:	349 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	3091  
    Rubem Pechansky