Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've got several vector s/w programs gathering dust in my office.
    But Xara X is always the first choice for real estate flyers and website layout drafts for customers. This is a part-time business for me and Xara X is an able part of my work. It almost thinks ahead for me.

The flyer below is represntative of what it does for me. (Excuse the clarity - downsized to make it easy on dial-up modems.) After an initial layout setup, it's just a quick cut and paste to move to a new home listing. I've tried this in Corel Draw 8 & 9 but they are not as user-friendly.

Xara may not update this software right away but like many of you and your comments, I'm just scratching the surface of it's capability.

It's fun and a money-maker.

Wayne

Arizona - Where Art is Everywhere
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2685-W.Live-Oak-Xara-small.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	4467  

I've got several vector s/w programs gathering dust in my office.
    But Xara X is always the first choice for real estate flyers and website layout drafts for customers. This is a part-time business for me and Xara X is an able part of my work. It almost thinks ahead for me.

The flyer below is represntative of what it does for me. (Excuse the clarity - downsized to make it easy on dial-up modems.) After an initial layout setup, it's just a quick cut and paste to move to a new home listing. I've tried this in Corel Draw 8 & 9 but they are not as user-friendly.

Xara may not update this software right away but like many of you and your comments, I'm just scratching the surface of it's capability.

It's fun and a money-maker.

Wayne

Arizona - Where Art is Everywhere

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

that's what I've always said.

BTW, just visited the web site of Randy Hamman - the FLASH is messing up sometimes.

I had to laugh out loud when I read 'Native Arizonian' - is it something special? Do these aborigingies have two additional eyes in the back??? Hey, I wonder what his face will look like if I would visit him and tell him: I'm native German. Know where Germany is located on the map? Will he search somewhere in Arizona or in the New England states?
    ;-}

I'm looking for a house like the one you posted, but in another location.

Anyway, keep going with XARA and let the good times roll!

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Xara is fast and easy and can create professional results. (But then you already know that ;-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

I've complained a great deal about Xara's lack of updates, however, it is nice to discover a feature.

I have revamped my site yet again. Since I've moved to a new host, I figured it needed an update. I wanted to make it cleaner and simpler. With that in mind, I've been using a combination of image maps and javascript for swapping images. Almost all of the graphic links on the site are image maps.

When you create objects in Xara that you want to export as an image map, you need to apply links to the object. I thought I would try applying javascript to that object as well. It would save me the trouble of doing it in Dreamweaver.

So for example if you hit CTRL-Shift-W and put in a link or URL that object will retain that information. When you export the graphics, click on the image map option and check "clipboard" to copy the image map information. Then paste it into your HTML program of choice.

In the past, I would assign '#' to most objects and then edit the links once I got them into Dreamweaver. Now I've discoverd that I can put in '#" onClick="MM_swapImage('ImageName','','path/to/ImageToBeSwapped.jpg',0)' and it works fine. Actually it's much easier to do this in Xara than it is to do it in Dreamweaver. It is easier because I can select multiple objects, apply a generic link to all of them and then make only slight changes to each of the links to make them work properly. So in the future, should I change my lineup of thumbnails, I can make the changes in Xara and paste them into Dreamweaver. Then all I need to do is upload.

This will only work if you already have the necessary javascript in the header tags. I haven't tried this will other javascript commands but it works flawlessly with image maps that swap themselves or swap other images.

On my index page it is an image map that swaps itself. On my illustration page and some of the storyboard pages, it is a image map of thumbnails that swap the big placeholder image.

I really don't think I will stop using Xara to build web graphics. I think I will still continue to use it until something better comes along.

The only issue that I have found is with Opera. Locally, Opera works fine, however remotely, it will only refresh images that are already cached. I haven't noticed any problems with IE. There is some funkiness with Mozilla and Netscape, but I haven't figured out what that is yet. As long as IE, Opera, and iRider work, I'm happy. I will try to figure out this Mozilla problem today.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

jens - your comment is also humorous.
    "I had to laugh out loud when I read 'Native Arizonian' - is it something special? Do these aborigingies have two additional eyes in the back??? Hey, I wonder what his face will look like if I would visit him and tell him: I'm native German. Know where Germany is located on the map? Will he search somewhere in Arizona or in the New England states?"

Here in Arizona so many people are from somewhere else. The "native" title is more longevity than ancestral.

Especially in Real Estate Sales - it being a retires something to do.
    My friend Randy was born and grew up in Arizona so he has a lot of "local knowledge" to bring to the sales process.
    I'll ask him if he can find Germany on a map - though.
    But I'll have to check and see if he has any other eyes or special features that I've overlooked.

Thanks Again for ALL your comments.

BTW - What would be the American equivalent of your Toyota diesel 4X4? It looks very good on your website.

Wayne

Arizona - Where Art is Everywhere!

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What would be the American equivalent of your Toyota diesel 4X4? It looks very good on your website. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Toyota never sold this model in the US. The ones you sporadically see off the roads are individual imports from Australia, where this model is still sold.

The model name is Toyota LJ 70 or Bundera in Australia and Far East.

If you spot an 'old' Toyota in the US it is in most cases a FJ 40 with the narrow hood. The average age is around 20 years, but almost all of them offered in ebay are in a mint condition.

I'm currently looking for a 4 inch Bodylift and monster tires as well as for a used GM 6.3 liter V8 diesel engine with 220 BHP - it features identical mountings like the Toyota engine. The clutch for this modification comes from Australia ;-} - one of the first 'world' cars...

The chassis for my 4x4 is from Australia as well. Not available in Europe... And then there is my dream: an aircon. Unfortunately only few models fit under the hood, and those that fit are currently out of my financial range.

BTW, if you want to have the original sales folder (in German), I can mail the scanned version to you.

Thanks for your compliments - it took me 4 months to turn this one into that condition ;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Ahh... Chino Valley...

Nice place. My Mother-in-law lives there.

I wish I could too, but there aren't a lot of jobs up there.

Prescott is turning into California East though...