Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add Shapes

Default Add Shapes

When I add shapes together, they form a group that must be ungrouped in order to edit the shape I just created. Can that be eliminated? What benefit is there to adding that extra step?
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Add Shapes

Is this something new in v7? I don't have this issue in 6 (or any previous version that I recall).

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

don't see it in P&GD7.... add shapes in what sense Sheff?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I don"t understand. What are you trying to do? Will this help a little?
    I know this isn"t much or real clear as to what I'm attempting to show but, I do hope it helps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	add shapes.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	84644
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I neglected to mention that when I add shapes that are part of a group to another shape or group, it creates a single group that contains only the 1 shape. If I hit the add shapes button, in this circumstance, it turns the combined shape into a group rather than just a shape. That is the extra step I am looking to eliminate.
    Sheff
    My Site

I tried to duplicate your results but I could not. Sorry, guess I still do not understand.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

If you make two circles and group them and then select another object like a square and add shapes, it becomes a group. This doesn't happen if the square is on top, only if the group is on top of the square. I am using the add shapes button rather than Ctrl-Shift-S.
    Sheff
    My Site

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can replicate Sheff,s results. What Sheff means is this draw a couple of shapes and group them now use Add Shapes to create one shape. you get a single shape but it is grouped with it's self, if you want to edit that shape with the shape editor you have to ungroup it.

As for how to eliminate the need to ungroup I don't think there is one. Either ungroup before you add shapes or after, but you still have to ungroup. I usually just hit Ctrl+U but if you have Designer Pro you could set it to a single key for the shortcut.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

[QUOTE=Sheff;418522I am using the add shapes button rather than Ctrl-Shift-S.[/QUOTE]

I still must be doing something different. Could you explain the button please? I've been using the arrange menu to do it,thinking that's what you meant.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

OK thanks Frances. I will leave him in your capable hands.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509