Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default reset colour bar?

Hello all. I'm a new user of Xara (DP6), and am quite enjoying learning the software. One thing I've been unable to figure, however, is how to reset the colour bar to the default swatches, or set it to another colour set alone, for that matter.
    I appreciate any help on this.
    Thanks,
    Ernest

Default Re: reset colour bar?

Hi welcome

if you go to the colour gallery [click f9] you will see the available palettes - right click on these to see if 'Show in Colour Line' is enabled

the colour line will revert to the default setting when you open a new document EDIT - this will incude any changes you have made in the gallery as mentioned

when you open an existing document it will include any additional colors that have been used as well

does this help?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you handrawn!
    Yes, it helps completely. Nice!

pleasure
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Ernest and welcome to the forum!

Several things determine what you see in the color line:

- The Color Gallery lists various palettes, including the Standard Palette, any custom palettes and the colors used in each document you currently have open. If you rightclick any of those palettes, you'll see an option for "Show in Color Line". (Note that the option doesn't apply to individual colors.)

- In Options | View tab, there's a checkbox for "Delete unused colors when saving and loading". If that checkbox is marked, the program will automatically delete any unused named custom colors when you close the document.

- You can also delete a custom color by rightclicking its name in the Color Gallery and selecting 'Delete'.

In the screen capture on the left, the top four items with folder icons in the Gallery are open documents. The bottom four are predefined palettes.

In the capture on the right, I've expanded the tree for the top document to show the named custom colors. It also shows the rightclick menu with the "Show in Color Line" option.

Does this help?

Allison
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ColorGalleryCaptures.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	79122  

lets hope so
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Allison,

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a thorough explanation. Very helpful.

I'm quite liking the way Xara approaches this. I'm coming from a background using .ai, and this, although different, seems kinda nice

Thanks again!

Ernest

you can also cheat:

if you put a selection of coloured squares into a blank document - and save this as a template so that it is a document that opens by default - all those colours will appear on the line

in this way you can create a default palette on the fly [locking and hiding the layer as necessary]
    Nothing lasts forever...

And you can drag a custom named color from one open document to another in the Color Gallery. Often, I'd rather do that than have to deal with a long list of named colors for every document.

Well, plenty of options I see! Thanks for the tips folks.