Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Vector purist? Not me

When one considers that the final output of any vector is in raster format (outside of the native application, that is) and leaving aside printing on billboards or on the sides of double-decker buses, what does it really matter if there are raster elements in the finished work?
    I like plugins and they save me a good deal of time achieving the results I want. The attached was made (very quickly) with XDP6 and a little help from Flaming Pear's Flood Filter.
    I'd like to hear other opinions on this, so would anyone care to contribute towards a debate?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	75031  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Vector purist? Not me

Nice one Bob! I like plug-ins too. Can't see anything wrong in using tools to achieve an end. As you say, all vector stuff becomes raster at some stage.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Bob, Que tal?.
    I'll talk about me.
    When I'm doing a drawing to post in xara gallery I don't use pluggins as a challenge about my xara knowledge and to try to understand in a better way how lights and shadows work, that's all it is such a game or aim, how to get it in the hardest way because it teaches me how to get the most from every tool.
    But If you want or if you are a professional and have to make a work and you have a pluggin that saves your time why not to use it?, it is like not using a computer to draw, if you have it then use it, I don't see any problem with that.
    Javier

I'm not going to bite, Bob, I'm really not!

Hi Bob

by the same token: 'what does it matter what software you use?'

if your objective is to produce art, then what matters is what works - and a fair percentage of that will be personal
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The only thing that matters is the end result, not the variety of techniques used to reach it.
    A painter call Chris Ofili uses elephant dung in his paintings, but they are still called paintings. I habitually use bitmap fills in many of the things I do but I still consider them predominantly vector drawings. I can’t see that it matters at all. Nobody says you shouldn’t use ink on a pencil drawing, pencil crayon over acrylic.
    It simply doesn’t matter.
    With a recent drawing I had to scale it up for a large sign and thought that the bitmap fill would present a few problems, but replacing the fill with hours of vector work would have been uneconomical and in the end, pointless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sphere.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	75094  

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    ... uses elephant dung in his paintings, but they are still called paintings...
    That gives new meaning to 'his work stinks.'
    ~Fred

I like the way Adobe handles this, it allows the user to copy and paste between programmes and if it is edited in one programme it updates itself in the other. I find Live Effects in Xara a pain as it takes so much time to arrive at the solution and many of the Plug-ins have no preview of what you are doing. No I am not a purist but I don't like Live Effects.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Smile Re: Vector purist? Not me

First, let me say that I do not consider myself any kind of an artist. (well, maybe a bad one!) The only art classes I ever had were in high school, and that was in the 70's! I just enjoy creating things.

That said, I use whatever programs, plug-ins, stencils . . . whatever I can, to create something I find appealing.

I can start with colored scribbles and shapes, add various filters and effects and acheive some stunning results! (sometimes in a good way)

I have over a dozen different graphics programs, including ArtRage, PSP, PS Elements, Doggwaffle, RealDraw, Sculptris and five different versions of Xara.

I have no problem taking something from Xara, importing it into ArtRage and adding things, bringing it into PSP or PSE for touch ups or effects or whatever.

As long as the end result pleases me, what difference does it make what I used to create it?
    ~ DanDaBear ~
    Some people think inside the box, Some people think outside the box, I think about the box