Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question using IIS localhost in Vista...

I've just now had a web site dumped on me by a client whose hosting service, a small reseller, had trashed her site after an argument about a questionable invoice. After much back and forth argument I was finally able, yesterday, to get ftp access and download the entire site. It was running perfectly on ISP's server when I checked before downloading the root and all it's sub-folders and files.

The web requires php, but far as I can tell there are no databases. I expected, hoped, that it would run from localhost out of the box so to speak, but it does not. I am set up for php, but I do not have mysql installed. I'd like to see the thing running on my local machine before I try setting the client up with a new ISP, but I am not familiar enough with the ins and outs of php to start troubleshooting here at my end, Perhaps someone here can suggest an approach. Grateful for any ideas.
    Phil Thompson

Default Re: using IIS localhost in Vista...

Phil

If your IIS is running PHP fine eg you can get phpinfo() displaying its report, then adding MySQL is usually ok -if you actually need it. It may be worth checking possible ISPs to see what versions of PHP and MySQL they offer - and make sure you have the matching versions because you want a reliable test environment.

Good luck
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thanks for your reply Mr Lewis. I have dug into the code a bit more deeply now. It has more complexity than I had first thought. I may need some help with it if the client decides to ask me for help in getting things back up and running. Your suggestion about checking the version is good, but I have no idea at this point how to find out what version of php is needed. And I also see now that it does seem to want Mysql. I suppose I could just try setting up an account for the client with a good ISP, upload and see if it runs, but not sure if this is a good idea given my limited php knowledge.
    Phil Thompson

Phil

If you zip me one or two example files with PHP in them, and with a SQL query, I'll have a look for you. stlewis [at] tlaconsultancy.co.uk

Do you have any programming/scripting experience - Access VBA, Javascript or similar? And any database experience? If not, you just need to learn fast
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stlewis View Post
    Phil

If you zip me one or two example files with PHP in them, and with a SQL query, I'll have a look for you. stlewis [at] tlaconsultancy.co.uk

Do you have any programming/scripting experience - Access VBA, Javascript or similar? And any database experience? If not, you just need to learn fast
    Thanks again, and grateful for your offer of help. I have to wait now until I find out what this [possible] client wants me to do. I'll let you know if and when I next hear from her. As for your question, yes, I have quite a bit of programming experience including VB, Access &c. But I've had only quite limited experience with php so it's good to know that I can call on you.
    Phil Thompson