Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default lost original web designer file

Hi,
    I have a website up http://www.onestopinformationshop.com and I used Web designer to create it. It was the first time I used that program. I since had a motherboard go and had a new one put in, I lost all the files from my C: drive. I do have a backup of the C: drive prior to the new installation but I am NOT able to find my files that were created with Web designer. I now need to make changes to the web site. I downloaded all the files from the server and now have them but when I use web designer to open the index I get an error message that reads: "failed to copy the XAR file's support folder".
    How can I open this site in Web designer? Or how can I make changes? Any help would sure be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gramme aka (also known as) Donna

Default Re: lost original web designer file

Hi Gramme aka Donna,

You cannot import already created websites as HTML.
    Only as the saved .web file

If your backup of C: was created before you created and saved your site .web file, then you have no chance at all of retrieving it I'm afraid - you will have to recreate the site again, but at least you have the online version to copy from
    Xara support folder is a folder created during site export and preview which holds files such as animated gifs or flash (swf) files which you are using via placeholders.

If your backup was made AFTER the .web file was saved and you simply can't find it - you can use Windows search for *.web or download the really fast and excellent 'Everything' search utility from voidtools.com

Default Re: lost original web designer file

Hello as Sledger says basically you are goosed, which really is one of the only downsides to this software, I am paranoid with my masters to the extent I now have 5 backups scattered here there and everywhere, pain in the bum when you make changes but I learnt the hard way losing one for a 100+ page site! What a nightmare.

Best thing to do smile and re-do it and learn from your mistake you wont make it again

Chris