Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Text effect...

Post Text effect...

Hi there,

Context:

1) Photoshop CS4; Want to create a mirrored version of text below the original - but where the mirror fades away to nothing.

2) I know how to create text, duplicate, flip the duplicate to make a mirror image, and - where the background is a solid colour - apply gradient to that text alone to make it look as though it's fading from where it meets the solid image above - to below, where it fades to nothing (i.e. fades to background colour)

Problem:

The above doesn't work at all if the text has for example been bevelled and contoured - even if choosing the gradient which is supposed to fade to transparent.

Question:

So how does one create text - apply effects such as bevel and emboss - and then make it truly fade to nothing - not just to background colour.

Adjusting opacity is not quite the solution I'm after - as that acts on the whole text - i.e. not in a graduated manner.

Any help appreciated,

Arif
    IP

Default Re: Text effect...

Add the text effects that you want to the text then simply combined that text layer with a new blank layer. Now if you add a gradient mask all the bevels etc will fade correctly. The only down side is that you cannot re-edit the text if need be.
    IP

Post Re: Text effect...

Okay - can I please be walked through very slowly how to 'combine a text layer with a new blank layer'?!

I've got the 'create new blank layer' bit okay, I think.

Else any alternative solutions to the problem.
    IP

Combine the layer with the bevels etc with a blank layer by pressing the new layer in the layers pallet so that a new empty layer is added above the layer that you want to fade, then just press Ctrl+E this will now merge the two layers together. Now all the effects bevels etc on that layer will fade with the text.
    Just make sure that you start with the layer that you want to fade the text sellected in the layers pallet first.
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Text effect...

Wow dude - that worked brilliantly!

Thank you for your help those months ago, and further patient help now too.

Arif
    IP

Very pleased to be of help.
    Rod
    IP

There is a video of an artist who does it very realistically. This is her demonstrating a drawing of a cat in photoshop. Yes, I'm a youtuber!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgcnN21Mllg

Sorry, I just realized she didnt post wording as she does with some of her other vids, but you can see her draw it, then use the smear tool.
    IP