Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Strange looking pages

Hi
    Uploaded a site which looks fine when previewing it but looks very strange on these pages.

http://www.proactionsports.co.uk/index_3.htm ('about us' button
    behind the links under 'Schools' & email link in top right has a button behind it)

http://www.proactionsports.co.uk/index_14.htm ( really strange - 'overseas coaching' button seems to have been stretched across whole page)

http://www.proactionsports.co.uk/index_15.htm (overseas coaching button replacing existing photo)

i've attached the file - sorry its so big havent worked out to isolate the problem pages

thanks a lot for any help
    paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Strange looking pages

Hi Lingo3,

It appears that you have images from a previous export showing.
    Each time you make changes to images (add or remove) in WD and then re export, the numerical order of exported graphics can change. This means that a full upload must be done to replace everything that was uploaded before.

hi sledger
    thanks for that - will try the full re-export & see if that sorts it.
    paul

hi sledger
    thats sorted it so thanks a lot. so am i right in thinking that a change to a single page requires the whole site to be re-exported?
    thanks again
    paul

Yes, that's right. XWD exports all images from your design with numeric filenames (e.g. 1.png 2.png 3.png etc....) If you change your design even slightly it is very unlikely that 9.png (for example) will be the same graphic element that is was previously.

When you make changes to you site you have to re-upload the whole site to your web server again. It's a bit like writing a book. If you insert a new page somewhere in the middle, all the following pages will be on a different page number. Also, the book index will need to be updated to reflect these changes.

Rich

thanks rich
    makes sense - nice analogy. so basically good idea to get everything as close to exactly as you want it prior to upload to make life easier.
    thanks
    paul

Although there's nothing wrong with frequent uploads, that's probably good practice, yes. This is especially true if your web hosting company have FTP bandwidth limits.

When I made my first XWD sites I was uploading them like crazy. Now that the novelty has worn off I only upload once the site is complete (or if the client wants to check on the progress).

Rich