Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

2.34 is out and full of new features..
    You can download the software at Blender3d.org.

Read about the features included in the 2.3x versions at Release Info.

You can import files from a variety of other software. See the improvment :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blender-import.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	13889  
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

2.34 is out and full of new features..
    You can download the software at Blender3d.org.

Read about the features included in the 2.3x versions at Release Info.

You can import files from a variety of other software. See the improvment :

Yeah! I've been waiting for this one to come out. UV mapping should be a lot easier with the new LSCM unwrap feature. And I can't wait to try out the Wings import, too. I wonder how ngons are handled? There's also anti-aliasing feature on the material, so I heard. Lot's of useful improvements here.

Playing around with the new version and there's a couple of things maybe someone might help me with.

When I start up Blender 2.34 it get the 'dos' window first and it's stating that:

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
    sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.

Not sure what that's all about but maybe someone does??

Also the menus are REALLY SLOW in drawing themselves. I have a pentium IV with 1 1/2 Gigs of DDR RAM and plenty of disk space so I'm not sure what the deal is??

I am using an older Matrox video card (Millennium G550) because Linux supports this card and my newer Matrox card isn't! The rest of the system just flies but Blender in general is S L O W ! ! but the menues are just painful to watch draw themselves. Any trouble shooting tips for this??

Thanks much!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Richard,
    I use to get that 'dos'window message - I read about the signification of it on blender.org and or Elysiun. This is what I found :
    "This is not an error but a warning. Which basiclly means you do not have the full or correct version of Python install. Unless you plan to use python you don't need to worry." You can read the full thread :'import site' failed; use -v for tracrback.
    I remember now that I have installed a current version of Python later...

Weird about the menus. On my old PC, I had to bring down the acceleration of the video card.

You should post this message at elysiun.com.
    There's also a thread :Things to try to make blender work correctly you might want to consult.

Hope this is usefull to you.

Dan

I've read something similar to what Richard is saying. Someone in Elysiun suggested turning off the cursor shadow in the Windows. But Richard said he's using Linux, so maybe it's a video card driver thing. Dan's link is a good place to start.
    BTW, the Wings import really rocks. Ngons are automatically converted to quads and tris. So things that are formerly very hard to do with Blender can easily be done with Wings, saved then imported to Blender. Yay!

I'll check it out when I get home, THANKS Dan!

Graf, I am using Blender on my Windows partition! Why would a cursor shadow effect cause this? That's kinda strange!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Richard,

The subroutine that calculates the cursor shadow could be using far more CPU cycles than it should, causing the other portions of the program to be slow. Turning off the cursor shadow would bypass that subroutine.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

But it's so pretty!!

OK< I'll give it a try when I get home. I also reinstalled my newer Matrox card (P750) last night so maybe that will make it better. I'm not using Linux at the moment so it's not nessesary to limit the Windows system like that by using an older video card and drivers!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Well, got one thing fixed. It was either the change in video cards and drivers or it was the cursor set (the Premium set is standard built in shadow and a really nice looking cursor set) so I invoked Blender and the menus fly open and there is more kick to each thing I try! I'm happy about that, now to look into that strange DOS window that starts up with each instance with that cryptic message.......

*UPDATE* I got the newest version of Python and once installed, rebooted the computer and now a perfect start of Blender 2.34. No cryptic message. The DOS window still starts up with the program but at least it's just blank. Interesting that programs like the GIMP and Inkscape and Blender, all ported to Windows from Linux have this DOS window.

Strange!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---