First I've had the product for two days, second, I have read ALL the posts on this subject.

I purchased Xara Xtreme because I needed a solution to create geometric shapes to use in digital video. These shapes would be used to create composites. If they can not be generated with a transparent background, they are worthless for what I need.

To test the software, I drew a circle and attempted to EXPORT it. The GIF format seemed to work, but the PNG did not. With the PNG I got a circle superimposed on a white square. As Dire Straits would say: That ain't workin'.

With Photoshop, within which I do all my photo touchup in, the choice right up front is the background; white, colored, or transparent.

In my mind this should be a fundamental function in any graphic program. However, it seems I am mistaken.

I read another poster ask pretty much the same question without much of a concreate answer.

So, is there a way to create a drawing ON a transparent background? And why does my PNG export with a white square?

Thanks.