Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This too is a bit off topic, but what do people think on charging for site adverts? The revenue from my site will be from a products and services directory. At the moment listings are free. The plan is to charge say 20% of the cost of magazine and paper directory advertising. I can either hold off from demanding money (!), ask just a sector of advertisers, and also offer eg 50% off if you sign up by a certain date.

What is your experience, or can you recommend a Talkgraphics-quality forum elsewhere for other advice?

Again, many thanks for your thoughts.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

This too is a bit off topic, but what do people think on charging for site adverts? The revenue from my site will be from a products and services directory. At the moment listings are free. The plan is to charge say 20% of the cost of magazine and paper directory advertising. I can either hold off from demanding money (!), ask just a sector of advertisers, and also offer eg 50% off if you sign up by a certain date.

What is your experience, or can you recommend a Talkgraphics-quality forum elsewhere for other advice?

Again, many thanks for your thoughts.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Hi Simon ...

I don't think this is off-topic at all and it's a good question which will, I imagine, spark all kinds of debate. Thanks for asking it!

I think that ads are a legitimate money raiser if they contribute to the site overall. For example, I have no problem with advertising on a Tourism site that is linked to my destination - ie. B&Bs, hotel/motels, restaurants etc. - but I want to know that these have been paid for. That way I can weigh the "We are the best" knowing that it's the establishment's blurb and not your (read: the site's) opinion.

This moves into the grey area of "link payment", which I have more problem with; particularly for a tourism related site but really, with any consumer site. Because I don't know if the link is there because it warrants it (ie. it's a quality site) or because they paid to have it there.

I hope this makes sense, and I'd love to hear what other's have to say!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP