Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEONISA

With oils I am a portrait artist, myself, and I'm almost ready to try it with Xara, but I am really worried about the hair issue. The hair is going to be a problem. It is, with oils, too. You've used a sort of impressionistic approach to it, I see.

Bill, you are hereby ordered to give us a hair tut. comon' now

great pic, I never do "hoooowweeeeeeeeeevers" but .........yes the chin...eric [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Great image Bill! I too think the hair is terrific - It is effective and I thing it is clear how simply you achieved the effect. I suspect your experience with other mediums really helped you know what was needed. The effect, while clearly vector oriented, seems very painterly in your approach to it. I like that with your approach to the hair it would have been easy to use named colours meaning it would be very easy to edit the hair colour.

If I dare any constructive criticsm I'd have to say I'm in agreement with Panfer and Eric: The chin looks like she has a disfigurement. The chin shadows seen to be 'off' a little and are slightly distracting from an otherwise beautiful image.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

..gentleman!

Your comments are very much appreciated. Yeah..the chin was sorta bothering me, too. I didn't convince myselt until two or three of you were bothered with it. I went back to it and what it was is that some of the shading had moved, apparently.

I did a touch up..don't know if I corrected what was bothersome...if there's something else..post it,please. Thanks

Yes, I used to do lots of portrait work with pastels...so, it is somewhat easier to visualize what effect to look for in Xara. Let me tell you..with Xara I'm doing things that I would never have been able to do. That is, change immediately a mistake..put down a color..don't like it...change it instantly. With pastels a little difficult using Kneaded erasers etc.

walk softly at the edges...bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Here's corrected one...any better?

Also, there are strands of hair laying right up and on the sides of her face. This gives a little irregular curves etc.to the eye. To make that clearer I would have to lay a white line close to
    those others so the eye can distinguish they are hairs. (See tut below

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 08, 2001 at 11:30.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LEONISAXX.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	6736  

Bill, yet again a stunning image! I'm very envious of your "old geezer" memory! I can 'copy' anything, but am currently struggling with keeping that in my head and being able to recreate it in many different ways. Nice update, and I look forward to seeing more

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

See if something like this will help make it clear
    as to the Way I did that particular Hair. (The flowing hair in those shampoo ads are really challenging. There was a Mexican airbrush artist by the name of Vargas. He used to do some of the most fabulous HAIR. Of course, his 'girls'made him very well known.'The Vargas Girls' as they known) I've
    made it as simple as I could...there may Q.

walking softly on the edges..bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 08, 2001 at 12:55.

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 08, 2001 at 13:55.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TURTORIAL.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	3175  

... picture, tricks and ideas! Very clever to use colouration in the white of the eye. It really takes away the intense white artificial look of the eye and tones in down "just right". Great tips on drawing hair! Seeing the way you did this one (especially the hair) I can tell that you could work wonders with pastells!

Very nice, Bill! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Risto

..very much! Risto,I like you comment as to 'white'of eye coloring that I used. I think you made similar comment on the 'Ruanda'post.

I have found that using different colors in both the white and iris of the eyes you can send a message...and establish a 'mood'. I think I saw in one of your posts the eyes are Round,white cut-out like.(I think it was with some rabbits.) This sets a 'mood'of the piece,person etc.
    Thanks for reply..

Let's see what else comes out of the "Old Geezer's" head..

walk softly on the edges...bill :

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 09, 2001 at 12:41.]

..that maybe I could post a tutorial of different
    areas of the piece. Eric was talking about this. I've never done a tutorial as such...I don't know.
    I like to teach..but not this way. I've never written a book,either. So,I'm going to see if I can come up with something worthwhile. I do see your sincere interest in knowing more of how it was done and this is what interests me. I going
    to give it a try... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

walk softly at the edge...bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Bill

Perhaps you could create a Guest Tutorial for the XaraXone and cover some of the different highlights of this splendid image.

You don't have to recreate the entire image but perhaps just key on the highlights as Big Frank did in his guest tutorial?

e-mail me if you're interested and I'll give you the details.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Sever So Humble...