Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEONISA

Hybrid View

...is just an imaginary persona.(Viewers..please do not try to identify her with someone. She only exists in my head.) Sometime back some were posting about hair. I did this to show that one does not have to SHOW each and every strand of hair. Possibly some could have been done with blends, however, this SHAGGY LOOK,I believe can only begotten by using strands and glumps of hair with strands as highlights. Using dig pad/stylus with Xara's beautiful selection of Lines makes it so much the easier. I used foto for position and proportion...the rest is from the "old geezer's"
    head!!!!

bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LEONISAXX.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	15247  

Bill, thanks for the idea, but I couldn't figure out how to implement it. However, in trying to, I found the missing strands of hair that were supposed to be there all along (doh!)

And, BTW, It's Dave Neal. I get that all the time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leonisa2.gif 
Views:	214 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	6267  
    ~Dave!~

Bill

Perhaps you could create a Guest Tutorial for the XaraXone and cover some of the different highlights of this splendid image.

You don't have to recreate the entire image but perhaps just key on the highlights as Big Frank did in his guest tutorial?

e-mail me if you're interested and I'll give you the details.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Sever So Humble...

..Bob for your comments. Yes,sometimes one will go for expressing an EMOTION..I tried to give a 'sullen' look in eyes,as well as lips. One can do what the ol'creative juices tell you. If you notice I 'soften'all the edges..this eliminates the harshnes of sharp,definate line. If you look real close at the eye you'll see how some of the lines are uneven..even crooked! I don't worry about that..sometimes those lines just add to the EMOTION or feeling I'm looking for. The lips are a series of small shapes with various values of the red in lips. This gives the 'roundness',softness to the lips. Ha,,I made her teeth a 'small blur'!
    I didn't have to show a Colgate smile...it wouldn't work for the EMOTION I was after in her face. I'm glad you enjoyed it...hope some of this bla helps.

walk softly on the edges..bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Great image Bill! I too think the hair is terrific - It is effective and I thing it is clear how simply you achieved the effect. I suspect your experience with other mediums really helped you know what was needed. The effect, while clearly vector oriented, seems very painterly in your approach to it. I like that with your approach to the hair it would have been easy to use named colours meaning it would be very easy to edit the hair colour.

If I dare any constructive criticsm I'd have to say I'm in agreement with Panfer and Eric: The chin looks like she has a disfigurement. The chin shadows seen to be 'off' a little and are slightly distracting from an otherwise beautiful image.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

..Neil,but the leftovers are not up to par for gift giving. Don't think it proper to send you one of those. They went fast. You know,..there's been so much stuff pumped out over this forum..let's ask Gary when's he gonna open the STORE :-)

Your daring Neil, you'll soon be doing your thing
    as your rightfully want and deserve to do!

Thanks for kind words..
    walk softly at the edges..bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Ah..it's Dave Neal..just picked it up..sorry!

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on July 11, 2001 at 16:15.]

Very Nice Bill. Your hair looks good. Or maybe I should say her hair. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

With oils I am a portrait artist, myself, and I'm almost ready to try it with Xara, but I am really worried about the hair issue. The hair is going to be a problem. It is, with oils, too. You've used a sort of impressionistic approach to it, I see.

Bill, you are hereby ordered to give us a hair tut. comon' now

great pic, I never do "hoooowweeeeeeeeeevers" but .........yes the chin...eric [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I like your COQUI design a lot! In addition to the frogs, I see butterfly wings and plant fronds. The colors and shapes work wonderfully together.