Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jinny,

You're a gem! . .That's it . .(the posterize control) exactly what i was wondering! thanks for spelling it out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Athena

(never afraid to ask a question . . . .) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

"the question is what application you optimize in. any of of my problem images
    are usually the result of being a photo-paint 8 file."

Bingo... I used PhotoPaint 9 to export. They need to fix that. :-(
    I'll use Fireworks from now on. Thanks for the info.

Doug Frost
    IP

Jinny Brown wrote:
    "In the Effects menu, choose Tonal Control, then choose Posterize Using Color Set."

Note that a more flexible command to use is Gradients, Express In Image.
    (Listed on the Art Materials, Garients drop down.) This will use a grad for the
    task, and won't posterize the image if you want to maintain quality so long as you
    use a graduation that has more than 255 colors/values.

Doug Frost
    IP

Doug,

Good idea. However, maybe you can explain this to me. When I tried using a Gradient and Express in Image, the shape filled with solid color. Moving the Bias slider changed the color but it was still a solid color. Then, using Fill on the same shape, I could see the Gradient in any of its configurations, side-to-side, radiating, etc.

Is there a way to control Express in Image so the Gradient actually works/shows?

Jinny, who can always rely on Doug for a more complete and accurate answer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

P.S. Sincere Thank

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

"Good idea. However, maybe you can explain this to me. When I tried using a Gradient and Express in Image, the shape
    filled with solid color. Moving the Bias slider changed the color but it was still a solid color. Then, using Fill on the same
    shape, I could see the Gradient in any of its configurations, side-to-side, radiating, etc.

Is there a way to control Express in Image so the Gradient actually works/shows?"

With an image _already present_ on the canvas (or in a layer), select a gradient, the open the drop down menu on the Art Materials, Gradients bar and select Express in Image. The gradient will be applied to the image according to value/luminance, replacing canvas colors with the corrosponding color in the gradient. The bias slider can be used to shift where the start of the grad. is applied in the value space. Two-color grads and the like will look better than some of the wild ones because brightest and darkest match up.

When using this with the technique discussed in this thread, remember that the Fade command can be used to blend image colors and grad colors bt precentage.

Doug Frost
    IP

Doug,

Oh! How much fun that is! I'm sure that it's something I've done before.. a long time ago.. but for some reason it was more fun tonight.

Thanks for the nudge to use Express in Image again.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP