Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Hey folks. Just finished these took a couple days to knock em' out. The most difficult part were the grills. The client should be happy, word not in from them yet. I'm happy with the way they turned out though.
    Wish I had been drawing FORD trucks, but I have to say, I'd rather be drawing Mopars than Chevy's any day!....
    wW<><
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lil_red.jpg 
Views:	2920 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	10453  
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

Hey folks. Just finished these took a couple days to knock em' out. The most difficult part were the grills. The client should be happy, word not in from them yet. I'm happy with the way they turned out though.
    Wish I had been drawing FORD trucks, but I have to say, I'd rather be drawing Mopars than Chevy's any day!....
    wW<><
    ----------- _~o

They're awesome. I like the fact that they have a realistic but cartoony look to them. Very cool.

-Bob.
    •Bob

Thanks Bob, that means alot coming from you. I wanted to Caricatureize them & feel good about the likeness. Took about 5-6 pencil sketches before I got the proportions & angles right, then scanning & tracing it into Xara to completion.

I call the shiny effect Bling Bling & I've been doing alot of it lately on everything. Clients seem to like it.

My sketching/cartooning skill has made something of a breakthough lately. I'm able to take simple reference of something & draw it in whichever angle I need from the one view ref. (it's always better to have more though) I'm really starting to enjoy drawing in sketchbooks again too. Something that I lost as the years went by.

You do much "old school" sketching/painting Bob? Your Xara Sketch Technique shows that you've been experimenting with it on the vector side & it's a really good technique. I hope to try that technique sometime when I get that certain type of project it may work well with.
    ----------- _~o

I don't do many finished drawings on paper, mostly it's done on the computer. When I do create something on paper, I use pencil crayons for colour. Last it was for a birthday card. I don't paint. I enjoy drawing the picture more than colouring it. If I do something on paper, I'd rather do it all in pencil now then having to colour it in. I'm spoiled by Xara for colouring in my drawings.

Lately I've been trying to do all my sketching in Xara (with the use of a Wacom drawing tablet). I find it quicker and easier. You can do your rough sketch, add a new layer and do a more finished, cleaner sketch. You can flip your drawing and fix any part that looks unbalanced and flip it back. It's nice to do a drawing in a few minutes, rather than always spending a whole day on one.

With your 5 - 6 pencil sketches, do you do your first sketch then on a new sheet trace your sketch, making changes as you go? Repeating until you have a fairly clean sketch of what you want? That's what I do.

Those trucks are great. I wonder how it would look if one were placed alone in a real enviroment. Like a clearing in the woods or something like that. The more I look at them, the more I like them The black one is my favorite of the two.
    •Bob

Nice Trucks WW! Good Job!

I love em'!! I think there just great, I really wish I could draw in that style but not yet.
    great job,
    tim

I do the original sketches in pencil & erase with an eraser sheild, getting progressivly darker with the line work as the sketch gets closer to it's final state. Using a hard lead 2h & H as these tend not to smear (bleed to the other pages)as much as HB's. Occasionally I'll use vellum & work a sketch.
    Ever try using your color pencils on a both sides of a piece of vellum? Nice subtle effects. Markers work well on vellum too.

Your wish is my command... quickie cartoon background added. Actually barrowed from a couple past projects...

I've teamed up with a fellow artist(A Corel guy -trying to get him into xara more btw). These trucks are for a Dodge Club shirt design, the rest of the project will be finished by "other said artist". Since Loyalties run deep in this business, I was quite happy drawing the trucks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warlock_quickie_background.jpg 
Views:	1501 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	286  
    ----------- _~o

Great looking trucks, wW. I agree with Ron, I like the 'real' yet 'cartoon' look to them.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I haven't tried that. I'll remember that though, thanks.

I like that background, but if there was something simular like that but in a real photograph and place the truck in the photo, giving the illusion of it actually being there.

I thought of doing something like that, but adding a character. Like a photo of a dining room table and adding a cartoon character eating breakfast or something like that. Roger Rabbit kind of thing I guess.

Got me thinking again.
    •Bob