Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon thread

Well, I decided I might as well post my old OLD (2 years old) dragon that I created in LightWave 5.0. This dragon is ONE solid model, except for the teeth, claws, horns, and eyes (basically anything white or non-scaled). Those are seperate objects (parented to the main model). The dragon is fully boned and has an easily animated skeleton structure. This was my second 'complete' dragon. My first one was...well, hehe, made 5 years ago when I was still very new to 3d. Anyhow, this 'beta' version of my dragon is still the only complete render that I have. The new one has so much more detail that this one looks flat and imcomplete in comparison. The head on this one is quite primative and simple...

I just thought I'd post it so you can see my last dragon project 2 years ago, and what I'm trying to improve on. The only thing that I was truly satisfied with was the wings. They were completely modeled using subpatch NURBS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krath1999_beta.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	1842  

Ah ok I will do some more work to the bump,if it comes out alright feel free to try on your dragon as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Please dont EVER shutup you are being brilliant help Earl,and its much appreciated [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]...feel free to comment on anything and criticizm is also cool too

Your Dragon is really good,it really looks like a Dragon.The only thing I would comment on is the muscalature if you add ribbons of muscle say along the neck and down the chest that conform to its shape I think it will look more animal like,but apart from that I think it looks great.I have dug up my old copy of Grays anatomy to look into muscle striations for the neck etc,and I modeled a human jaw in places for the new Dragon jaw..you were spot on there Earl.

Stu.

Name:	Dragon.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	15120  

Hows this Earl?

I had a play with the bump map and added some irregularities like you said might be a good idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Views:	260 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	10954  

That looks good Stu. Your dragon is definitely starting to come to life now. Texturing has got to be one of the hardest parts of organic models. You feel so good after you've finished the modeling stage, but in fact the texturing stage is just as much of a nightmare. Hence why we love 3d so much. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Your bump map definitely ads realism to it, and now you can start to see the effect of specularity. Lookin' good...so what's next on your agenda? The body? Or further refinement of the head/face?

As far as my 2-year old dragon goes...it lacks in all details. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Muscles are missing, scaly bumps and deformations, characteristics of the head and spine, etc. But...again, that's what my goal is this time: to create a dragon that I'm finally content with saying "this is a final version." That dragon I posted was a great learning experience for me...and now all those skills plus what I've picked up in the meantime are ready to move on... if only my schedule was ready to move on too...hehe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Earl.

I think I will spend some more time on texturing and then attack the neck section.I think I should study texturing in the manaul a bit closer just to be sure I am not missing anything really important [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ps if something doesnt look good please say so its ok to be blunt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I wont sulk on ya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Stu.

Probably a wise idea...but then, it's all personal choice. Some like to model the full thing first, then texture, others like to handle texturing as they go, so they can tackle geometry problems that may creep up but aren't noticeable until you try to apply a texture.

The only thing that doesn't quite look right is the texture on the ear...it looks a bit stretched. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] It's a hard shape to texture...the best bet would be UV mapping, if your application handles UVs efficiently (again, I don't think LightWave's UV tools are sufficient). I'd try tweaking the ear texture a bit...

Now heres a bump I like [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I did some extra texturing in Bodypaint as well.

I will work on that ear and I think the head is now too short [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just say when this Dragon starts boring you to tears ok I wont be offended [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I am not rapt with Cinemas uv either but then again to be fair I barely know what I am doing yet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Views:	253 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	15123  

Here is the final finished head,well modelling anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Views:	247 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	18320  

Hi Stu,

Sorry I've been absent the last few days. Been 'out of the loop' so to speak. Your dragon head looks like a winner from over here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The eyes are well placed, the jaw is firmly attached, and I love the detail on the rim going down it's nose (center of face). I hope you keep working on the rest of the dragon, cause I'd love to see this thing full bodied. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi Earl.

I am going to keep on going until I have a full 100 percent Dragon,I dont like giving up on anything [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Again thanks for the help [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I am now onto the body and finding it is just as tricky as the head only with the body its like shape it for the legs for the tail,dont forget the spine and belly armor and dont forget the wings attach somewhere as well and you have to do it all in one hit though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] but I will get there.

Stu.