Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon thread

Hi Stu,

I've been looking some more at your priliminary dragon jaw, so hopefully I can add some constructive criticism now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I do like the look of the ear and the general style. It should turn out great when textured and rendered. The 'human' ish approach seems to be working well, as it does give the dragon character. The problem I see with the jaw is that it's too short. I think it should extend further underneath the skull. Right now, it looks kinda like a flap. As it is, it just doesn't look like there are powerful jaw muscles moving it. I'd extend it a bit...I think it would help out with your horse problem too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Though, actually, I don't think you have too much to worry about in that respect. Once you put scales on it, it'll lose its slight resemblance to a horse. And besides, this is still just a draft model, I'm sure you'll be tweaking this model yet. All it takes is a few moved points and the whole thing takes on another look. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

My PC at home is in a little trouble...as of now I can only get on at work. If I can get it back up and running, I'll see if I can start creating some primative head models and contribute some more.

Just in case anyone has a newer Wacom Intuos tablet, you can use it in tablet OR mouse mode, as shown in their driver control here...

This should eliminate the aforementioned problems with 3d software, shouldn't it?

Danny Huff
    http://www.asherrocks.com
    (I'm the guy who USED to have a lot of excess hair)

Thanks Earl some more feedback would be great [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ....hope you get that pc sorted as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Danny you are right but I find using my mac that if I have my mouse or pen in mouse mode that where I select say a point or poly with my cursor and where it is actually selected are two different things,so for me I have to use either the pen in pen mode or mouse in pen mode so I just use the pen and have the mouse as a button box.I had an almost identical problem in Painter that also was fixed by putting the pen in pen mode.I have tried all the drivers and have also done the Wacom support angle with a tech to no avail.The only program tha doesnt do it is Photoshop I dont know why but I am now assuming it is probably my graphics card and that Photoshop is somehow setup differently for tablets as opposed to Maxon and say Corel.I alos in mouse mode could not drag and drop but in pen mode I can and I have all the settings sorted for tablet and Mac conversion of control to command.But hey I can still use the tablet and my software so I dont really see that I have that much to grizzle about so I just put up with and work around it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]...but thanks for the info anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Earl I took your advice and fixed the jaw and also did some more re arranging
    This just a basic test for textures which color looks better the goldish color or the brown [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Stu.

Heres that image this time.Boy is my face R255 G0 B0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	2022  

I think I prefer your goldish/red texture. But then, I've probably always favored red dragons. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The dragon character that I've been working on is also a reddish looking dragon.

Your jaw looks much improved. And I see you've added teeth as well! So is the jaw physically attached to the head? Or are they separate objects? Is the head going to be separate from the body, etc?

Cheers Earl.

Ya I see what you mean about the jaw,I have to build it out to show a connection to the head ie jaw bone...got it.

I like the reddish gold as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Can you tell me is it possible to apply a bump map to a seperate material?...ie I can get the gold colored skin looking good with the right orientation but when I set up my bump in that material to get the scales I made looking good I have to screw up the look of the skin completely as I have to rotate etc,what I would like is to have the control over mapping orientation etc with the bump that I do with a single material,is there away of doing this or am I just being thick?

Stu.

Hmmm, your question regarding the bump map is, unfortunately, application specific. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] As I'm not a user of a Cinema 4D, I don't have the answer. I do understand what you're saying, and there is an easy solution. In LightWave, one simply specifies a different 'layer' as the bump map. It's applied to the same surface, but it doesn't affect the texture orientation or other related settings. Again, it's completely application specific. I know there must be an easy way to do this in Cinema...Hopefully someone else who uses it can give us some insight.

Thanks Earl.

I tried making a separate material and only using a bump channel and unchecking all the others but I couldnt get it to apply a bump under the skin texture it just applied it over the top once more.I think I might have to have a good look in the manaul again.

I will post the bump I made too see if you think it will look alright.

I know how to use and make channels in Photoshop with the lighting filter for bumps but after that I am bit lost really and I might have it all wrong,but I will go and dig up that bump [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Ok here it is.

I just had a thought I might be able to fit the bump to the object making it unmovable and then apply the skin over top [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Name:	Dragon-scales-bump.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	16928  

Hi Stu,

You might be able to find the answer in the manual...I guess it depends on how well written and organized the manual is. The manuals for LightWave, well...hehe, SUCK! I feel bad for anyone who's trying to learn the program after just buying it...as the manuals are of little use.

The idea behind your bump texture is great. I see exactly what you're getting at. And, that's a good way to simulate scales - since you can use the same layer settings to play with specularity, etc. The only thing you may want to look into for your texture is how it will look once it is tiled many times. Often a texture can look good as it is, but once it is tiled (as it will be on the model) unwanted patterns can develop. Here's a sample of your texture tiled a bit. Some of these 'unwanted' patterns are beginning to show up, where as a lizard or any other scaled animal won't really have patterns this 'cold' or unnatural. I'd suggest creating a larger area for your scales bump (larger area meaning showing more scales). Then I'd diversify the scales slightly - giving individual scales unique characteristics. After that, I'd try tiling it again in a paint program just to see if any more unnatural 'patterns' show up. If so, then go back and edit the scales which seem to be causing the problem (by sometimes standing out too much from the rest, or being 'too' unique, etc). It's a real tough process, and it takes a lot of patience...ultimately one would want a texture that doesn't tile at all - one that fits the entire model 1 to 1, so you can manually 'paint' scarred bumps, or characteristic bumps, etc. But that takes a LONG time, a heck of a lot longer...

Anyhow, hope that's helpful. Feel free to tell me to shutup at any time... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Keep working on that bump texture you posted...it definitely has potential.

Name:	dragonbump_tiled.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	13370