Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Bye-bye 8-bits!

I've used a site tracker from http://www.extreme-dm.com/tracking/?reg for a couple of weeks one of my sites. And it turns out that only about 5% of our visitors now have an 256 color graphics setup! The vast majority are either in the the 16-bit or 24-bit camp. So much for the need to do sites in the stupidly restricting "browser-safe" color range!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I've used a site tracker from http://www.extreme-dm.com/tracking/?reg for a couple of weeks one of my sites. And it turns out that only about 5% of our visitors now have an 256 color graphics setup! The vast majority are either in the the 16-bit or 24-bit camp. So much for the need to do sites in the stupidly restricting "browser-safe" color range!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Klaus
    I've been using Extreme on quite a few sites for over a year and I can confirm that there is now only a low %age using 256 colour setups but I would advise that the figure is more like 10%, which is still quite high. In reality how anyone can still browse the web at this resolution is baffling, but 10% is still not to be sniffed at.

I suppose when visitors start surfing at this resolution they soon catch on that they will have to upgrade.

Extreme also give 15% using Netscape.

I think where possible you should still try to cater for these users.

At the same time we'd still be using "no frames" tags forever if we didn't move on.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I agree with Klaus' conclusion--there's no need to code to web-safe 256 color pallets. Why? One of the systems I must use at work is an IBM 600X Thinkpad laptop driving a 21 inch monitor. The video controller and video memory are so lame that I can't set it up better than 8-bit color, 1280 X 1024, 60 Hz refresh. Yes, I get eye strain and headaches; and I'm promised an upgrade "real soon now." But, I seldom have a problem enjoying the beautiful art in the forum galleries. I doubt that the users still at 8-bit color are going to miss too much, and when we code our pages for 24-bit color we are pushing them toward the future.

1/ I once read an article somewhere on a site about the fact that this 256 colour theory is far too optimistic: there are far less colours really cross browser.

2/ With the difference in gamma value between PC and Mac in mind: which one renders the brightness correct?

3/ How many surfers are pros with perfectly adjusted monitors that only surf under the ideal light conditions?

4/ How many human beings see AND interpret the "scientifically" identical colour in exactly the same way?