Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

When I create complex images for print, I have found that xara won't print correctly to high res imagesetters if I have shapes that are filled with bitmaps (for example, I take an image, cut a person out of the image, and then end up with a shape that contains a picture of the person).

Solving this is actually simple once you know it's a problem--just turn that cut out image and your entire background into a large image (without alpha, which can also cause problems). Then you can place your type on top of that.

You can see several book covers that required this workaround

Your PostScript files will be larger, but your PDF files will be smaller and much faster to view and output

I also RECOMMEND that you convert all your fonts into curves, as this ensures perfect output. Sometimes PDF files, especially when printed from the Mac, can have problems with embedded fonts.

===

But just recently I ran into a problem with this method. I was creating a PDF and I selected all the objects and converted them to "editable shapes." Among the selection was a plain bitmap I had made from a cutout.

In the past, this wouldn't change the bitmap at all. But now, when the bitmap was selected and turned into an editable shape, instead of printing like a normal single bitmap, it would print like an image that had been cut out, defeating the purpose.

This meant I had to then select only certain objects--and NOT any images, or they would revert to printing slowly and viewing slowly in the PDF.

Has anyone else noticed this? The only workaround I can see is to NOT select them before converting to editable shapes.

Comments? Suggestions?

When I create complex images for print, I have found that xara won't print correctly to high res imagesetters if I have shapes that are filled with bitmaps (for example, I take an image, cut a person out of the image, and then end up with a shape that contains a picture of the person).

Solving this is actually simple once you know it's a problem--just turn that cut out image and your entire background into a large image (without alpha, which can also cause problems). Then you can place your type on top of that.

You can see several book covers that required this workaround

Your PostScript files will be larger, but your PDF files will be smaller and much faster to view and output

I also RECOMMEND that you convert all your fonts into curves, as this ensures perfect output. Sometimes PDF files, especially when printed from the Mac, can have problems with embedded fonts.

===

But just recently I ran into a problem with this method. I was creating a PDF and I selected all the objects and converted them to "editable shapes." Among the selection was a plain bitmap I had made from a cutout.

In the past, this wouldn't change the bitmap at all. But now, when the bitmap was selected and turned into an editable shape, instead of printing like a normal single bitmap, it would print like an image that had been cut out, defeating the purpose.

This meant I had to then select only certain objects--and NOT any images, or they would revert to printing slowly and viewing slowly in the PDF.

Has anyone else noticed this? The only workaround I can see is to NOT select them before converting to editable shapes.

Comments? Suggestions?

I don't have any experience of working with .pdf files, but regarding your problem of the bitmap reconstructing itself to the original bitmap, have you tried selecting the cut out bitmap, and "creating bitmap copy", inserting this in the file, then deleteing the original prior to conversion to .pdf?
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi,

I found that when I export the whole Xara image as a whole into the highest quality PS file possible and then process through Distiller, I get a good PDF file, bitmaps and vectors inlcuded. In distiller I can tweak the setting while the PS file remains somewhat consistent. My luck has been good. I convert the fonts to curves in the PS export. I also import the PS into Illustrator to see if there are any major flaws with the PS file.

Seldomly do I ever use the straight-to-PDF route found in most systems because they use default settings. Distiller offer more power and control (which, as you know, can be a problem in itself).

Draw 10 PDF export is by far the closest I have seen to PS to Distiller to PDF path.

Hope this helps,

Milt