Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CorelDRAW 10?

Hello folks,

I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything yet about the next upgrade for CorelDRAW (now that CD9's working fine).

Anyone know of anything in the works? What'll be new?

Rasterize in peace,

Gary G. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Hello folks,

I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything yet about the next upgrade for CorelDRAW (now that CD9's working fine).

Anyone know of anything in the works? What'll be new?

Rasterize in peace,

Gary G. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi Mr. Garvin,

I'm just lookin for the scroll box that lets ya see the message in reference to this fine reply, I found a link on the bottom that opens a new Netscape window but no scroll box, Oh well that works just as well.

Ver.10 ??????
    I'm still using Ver.7, savin my money for ver.69.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi Mike!

I'm not realy pushing for 10 to come out, but I was just wondering. Like I'd mentioned, CD9's pretty stable at this point and I'm happy. I appreciate Corel much more now ever since I attended a two day Illustrator course.

Hey... I used to go to high school right up the road from you in Boca... check out the Almni Site I put together at www.geocities.com/garvoon and flash back a bit!

Good hearing from you!

Gary
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP

Gary

I've been using Draw for nearly ten years and although I have V9 at home, I also still use V7 at work.

I appreciate all the new features present in V9 but haven't found the need to upgrade at work.

I think I would like some more technical drawing type features added to V10 such as a fillet command for non right angle corners.

But I'm loath to request such features knowing what happend in the past with the Micrographx (sic?) product. Unless such technical illustration features can be added seamlessly, without compromising the Draw engine I would rather use another application.

The real power for me in DRAW is it's automation facilites, that allow myself and third parties to create scripts and VBA applications, I'd be lost without these.

I have a feeling that most of the improvements in Draw 10 will come from the Photopaint side of the suite.

If they bundle Knockout and Kai's powertools it is going to be a pretty persuasive upgrade on those two items alone.

The again I couldn't come up with any suggestions to improve Draw 7 but Corel still keep coming up with good if not essential features (for me anyway) so may be Draw 10 will surprise me.

Peter.
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

DRAW 10 is in Beta testing cycle. It is going to have some pretty cool new features although my non-disclosure agreement prevents me from saying any more.

I have not heard when the target date for release is, though my guess will be around Christmas.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    IP

Non-disclosure agreements not-withstanding, in the old days we used to be able to count on Corel Magazine offering a preview during that very same beta phase. Does anyone know of some such site available in the post-CM world?
    IP

Gary, nice site man, I remember those days, it was about the time A/C and color TV were invented.
    Watchin Sat. morning cartoons on a color TV was like goin to the movies.
    I'm glad those good old days are gone myself, now we have Beast Wars, I'm still a Tom and Jerry fan, they have more acts of violence in 10 seconds than anything I ever seen.
    IP

Hi Peter...

I've been doing some pretty intricate tech and patent drawings over the years. Man, I'd be up the creek had it not been for Corel, and I shudder at the though of having to do all those tasks with, let's say, Illustrator! When CD9 came out, the biggest problem I had was the NECESSARY, but flaky "snap to objects" function. What a nightmare. Now that it's fixed, I'm a happy camper. That was a case of fixing an unbroken wheel.

My greatest fears with the next release are:

a) More unbroken wheel fixes, and

b) Bundling (kicking up the price of the suite) of perhaps Kai, or whatever else they deem "necessary" bundled software. For example, in days gone by, I never had a use for Dream, but I had to pay for it anyway.

Other than those elements, once the upgrades becomes stable, I do, for the most part, find uses for most of the newer features.

Anyway, it WILL be interesting to see what they come up with!

Have a good one,

Gary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP

Gary

I have a favour to ask

This issue with Draw has just been raised in the newsgroups, It is something I've been aware of and lived with as there is a work around, once you know about the 'problem'. However after investigating Draw 9 (now I have a computer at home again) it appears some work has been done on it but it is still not quite right.

The subject is to do with trimming lines.

In Draw 7 if you draw a horizontal line and then a vertical line that intersects it (like a '+')

Select the vertical line then the horizontal and perfrom a trim. The horizontal line is broken in two, if you break apart this line you have two horizontal sections. However these lines are 'special' in that they are closed curves. This is not very helpful if you want to use these lines in an overall new shape as if this section is used you end up with all sorts of problems with sub-paths and cannot close the shape.

Now this appears to be a classic example of code reuse, with closed shapes instead of lines you get the exact effect you expect, but with lines I don't think this 'closed shape' line is particularly useful. However I may be very wrong about this but I figured you, if anyone would know.

Now in Draw 9 if you perform the same actions you get a different result. The left hand section of the horizonal line is a perfectly normal open curve however the right hand side is still a closed curve. Somebody has obviously looked into this since V7.

Any chance you could try out the above in your Draw 10 beta and if you think you should get open curves in both horizontal sections forward the information to Corel.

Thanks

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP