Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

I want to use multiple menumaker menus within a single website - a separate menu on each major subdivision page of the site.

The menus are to be all of the same style, with just the menu items changing. They will be brought into each major subdivision page (and sub-pages thereof) via FP Included Content. I have built separate htm pages for each distinct menu to be called up.

I've managed to create three of these that do not conflict, but am having trouble with the fourth. It seems the first 3 didn't have any graphic names that overlapped. However, the 4th menu wants to overwrite prior graphics files. I tried to segregate the newest menu files into its own folder, but the conflict still occurs and the menus don't show correctly. Perhaps this is due to js files that live in the website root? I'm not sure.

I would appreciate a bit of help in learnig how to appropriately design and manage multiple similar-style menus in a single website without such conflicts, if at all possible. I don't seem to have any luck housing each menu in its own subfolder - when I do this the menus show up in Design mode, but do not appear in Preview or live.

Thanks in advance,

Fred Orcutt

If you can take advantage of iframes, much of your problem is solved already, iframes display a unique page within its shortened and narrowed parameters, and since you don't have to necessarily have borders or scrollbars, no one but you, the designer need be the wiser.

Another method would be to find every instance of names referring to your javascript in your page and in how each menu is made, and rename them, but all of the renaming would not work unless you find all instances of how they call out each other in the script. It could work in theory, but the method above does not require any renaming and may be infinitely easier.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

Sally,

Thanks for the advice. I will check into iframes, as I'm not that familiar with them yet.

However, I am still wondering why the created menus don't show in preview/live if segregated into their own subfolders within a (for example)navigation folder within the website structure. Does it have to do with the js files? All paths I check seem to be correct otherwise.

Fred

.js files cannot be put just any place, they have to go in the folder of the page itself as far as I've found, that is why multiple menus,if they end up calling on the the .js file, aren't going to work, and or may not work then in all browsers.

Some menus such as Cool Tree has solved this problem. The menu is much like Windows Explorer and it has the same hierarchy of levels.

A great source for code is Dynamic Drive. You can learn what you can do with iframes there and all the source code.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

As long as the url is formatted correctly, you can stick a .js almost anywhere on the net.

Default Re: Multiple menus within single website

Can anyone help me with the multiple menu issue

I cannot seem to load but the first menu, I created a new project but to no avail. Be glad to share the js file or whatever is needed