Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I think it’s great that Xara has added SWF export capabilities. However for someone like me who designs logos that are used for print I need a vector format I can edit in illustrator or acrobat.

I think it’s great that Xara has added SWF export capabilities. However for someone like me who designs logos that are used for print I need a vector format I can edit in illustrator or acrobat.

You've misunderstood the Nature of Things: The kind of bevel effects, etc., possible in X3d5 are just not possible in the vector world. So the lack of vector output is not really a defect in x3D5. Bitmap programs do not have vector output - and that's not their fault.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

If it has Vector SWF export then why not Vector EPS export?

That's a kind of valid point. But you will note that the Flash vector export is severally limited in the kind of bevels it can use: only the hard-edged, flat bevels. Still, I agree with you - it would have been great to have AI/EPS export of those types of designs.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

AI/EPS: Have you tried importing the SWF into Flash and exporting it from Flash to EPS or AI? As nice as Xara's products are, you have to come up with a multitude of workarounds for all their shortcomings.

Personally, I would like DXF export from Xara 3d. Then you could really use it in a real 3d environment.

But what I think is more important and I can't believe it's been overlooked is the lack of sequential bitmap support.

I NEED to create 32 bit images with transparency. That's possible for 1 frame but not all of them. I have to export Xara 3d 1 frame at a time which is an absolute pain in the ass.

I wish they would add this to a service pack not a new version 2 years from now.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site