Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey Gidgit,

Well, i'm back. I can call up text but, #1, I can't import my OWN bitmaps, gifs, etc.. to wrap my text in. #2, I can't apply ANY of the effects and apply 3D effect to my text after I type it. When the text is dotted around the edges, I can't seem to apply ANYTHING (including my own images). I keep getting the "effect cannot be aplied to image (or something like that)" and then, there is what appears to be a phone number on the error message. What can I be doing wrong???? Thanks for your time (again).

RJ
    IP

Hey Gidgit,

Well, i'm back. I can call up text but, #1, I can't import my OWN bitmaps, gifs, etc.. to wrap my text in. #2, I can't apply ANY of the effects and apply 3D effect to my text after I type it. When the text is dotted around the edges, I can't seem to apply ANYTHING (including my own images). I keep getting the "effect cannot be aplied to image (or something like that)" and then, there is what appears to be a phone number on the error message. What can I be doing wrong???? Thanks for your time (again).

RJ
    IP

Hi there RJ,

Okidoki, where to begin...how about this forum desperatly needs a chat room?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ok, first off, I take it you are trying out PI version 7...

If so, to bring your own saved worx onto the canvas all ya have ta do is open the Browser (button by default is on the right hand side of the screen and it looks like a folder with a file/sheet in front of it)if you have moved this around or it isn't showing then go through-

View>Toolbars and Panels>Panel Manager

and this button should appear along with five others. Anyhoo, open up the Browse Manager (If you are still not sure which button just mouse over and read the hints) and look for your file, then just drag said file and drop it on the canvas.( there are other ways to achieve opening one's files, but hey, the browser is the easiest way to go... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

Now then, on to text...Once you apply an effect to text it is no longer a text object, sooo, ya pretty much have ta type your text,in color, then add what ever deform or wrap ya wish, then move along to the filter effects and carry on...

If you wanted to make the text with your pic as the bg then you would right click on said file in browser and select "open", this would open another canvas with this file, right click on canvas and copy...then move back to the canvas with your text, click on text to activate, go up through

Edit>Paste>into selection and or Fit into selection...

and voila, the text is colored with your file... remember to make the text the way you want it first, though you may still apply filters and shadows afterwards

As for any object that is activated, this is the object layer you are working on, to work on something else just click said object, including background

Also, any object text or otherwise that you are working on, it is a good idea to take your originals in their original non applied states and drag them over to your

Easy Pallette>Object Libraries (button looks like a little chest )> My Library ...and drop them into library...they will be saved as such and anytime you need to use them just drag and drop them back on to your canvas.

Phew, RJ I gotta tell you, there are so many things that this program has to offer, and we havn't even begun to touch the surface here...
    For the price, there is nothing that comes close to what this app offers up...I have used this app for two plus years already and I am still discovering new things daily...It has quite the learning curve because of how robust this app is, but at the same time it is intuitive enough for one to jump in and start creating immediatly.

Just wait till ya discover the on canvas slicing and optimizing, as well as so many other web related features including remote navigation java stuff...on and on it goes...

By the way, the moderator of this PI forum is none other than the PI guru herself..."Steph" will forget more than I will ever know about this app and is in touch with various team members of Ulead all the time, she has written several books about this app, and I am sure if you mosy over to her site you will find a link froom her site to her forum, in which you will be in contact with many of the best PI guru's on the planet...Look for her link on one of her posts here and your off and running.

Hi Steph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

RJ, If you have any trouble with your text, post it and we will do our best to try and figure things out and get ya going in the right direction, or was that left...lol

Have fun eh... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP