Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey Hey,

I have a question about Styles in Photo. I want to know if you can import your OWN images from your hard drive into PS to create your own styles and actions and save them in the styles and actions folders or where ever you could store them.

If this is not possible, then, someone needs to let Adobe know to include this feature in Photoshop 8! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for your time.
    RJ
    IP

Hey Hey,

I have a question about Styles in Photo. I want to know if you can import your OWN images from your hard drive into PS to create your own styles and actions and save them in the styles and actions folders or where ever you could store them.

If this is not possible, then, someone needs to let Adobe know to include this feature in Photoshop 8! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for your time.
    RJ
    IP

Not 100% sure here RJ, but i'm thinking you're talking about the pattern images used in the Layer Effects and the Pattern palette?

If you want to use your own custom textures/patterns for your Styles and Actions, just open the texture image into PS and under the EDIT menu choose "Define Pattern". Give it a name and it'll be in your Pattern library list from that point on, whenever you decide to use it.

Whenever you add new textures to your pattern library... be sure to immediately save the new list. Otherwise, if something funky happens with PS you could lose the whole lot. \

That what you're talking about?

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

Hey Mark,

I'm talking about if you had an image in your hard drive like say........ a photo that you took yourself or an image that you downloaded off the internet.. or a picture that you have scanned into your computer and you want to use IT as a style or an action, would that be possible?

Thanks,
    RJ [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

RJ,

Ok, i'm still not sure now exactly what you're referring to or thinking about when you say "...you want to use IT as a style or an action"...?

What do you mean by "use" it?
    Run me through an example of how you'd "use" the photo for this purpose -- so i can understand the specifics of what you're thinking/asking.
    IP

Hey Mark,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I guess the best way I can describe it is. Like if you had taken a photo with your digital camera. You them, were working with text and going through the styles or actions. You might think it (the photo you taken with your digital camera) might look great if you incorperate it as a style or actions and edit it (the photo you took with your digital camera) as you do a style or action. Can it be done??

Hope this is a little clearer.
    RJ
    IP

Ok well RJ... i "think" i'm a little closer to getting your meaning straight in my head now.

What you're asking is not really possible. The main reason is because you can't store photos (or the data that makes them what they are) within Styles or Actions. Photoshop needs to store an actual copy of the image/photo somewhere on the user's system, and access it when needed; such as recalling it from the "pattern library" within the program.

You can however access the photo "through" the use of a style or action... apply filtering and whatnot to it, and then apply that result to whatever image you're working on -- like as a mask or for colourizing, or image blending.

That's about as close as you'll get to doing what you're thinking.

That make sense or help at all?

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

Mark,

Yeah, I think I see what you're saying. Basicly, I was wanting to use the "style" atributes, and add them to type then, I might go to my hard drive and take a photo (bitmap, gif, jpeg..) of a gold fill or texture and also use it with the style atributes and after I've done the edits and gotten my desired effect (using gradients, bevels, glows, strokes, etc.. AND my incorporated photo) and then save it in my "styles" or my "actions" pallets.

Thanks a lot for bearing with me, Mark. I'm still new. I've been a Photoshop-er for only about 4 months. So, again, thanks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RJ
    IP

No problem RJ, hope we cleared it up well enough together.

IP