Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Interesting to find another shopping for the laser printer with photostencils in mind..

still screen printing Mike?

Q.

Default Re: Silk Screening: How to's?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Sedwards
    Silk screening is usually done with blocks of colour because it's difficult to get the accurate registration you need for blends. I suppose if you make the 'pixels' large enough and take sufficient care it might be possible.

Regards - Sean
    Hi Wayne, Gary, Sean and other serigraphers: Sorry my post was delayed by like, uh, 4 or 5 years.

Not sure what I was researching when I came across this Talkgraphics.com board, and the entries, from, uh, like 5 ½ years ago, regarding the process. Oh, I recall, I was trying to find the correct spelling for Mouse’s former atelier, Lory Arellanes. I don’t know if you (Wayne, aka sr. member ivca) is still interested … I know a fine art printer in Madison, WI that’s still doing printing the old fashioned way. He does all the limited edition serigraphs for R. Crumb, for over a decade now. His name is Alex Wood, and he’s got a VERY detailed explanation of the process as it relates to making fine art limited edition prints:

Learn How a Serigraph is Made at this URL:

http://crumbprints.com/serigraph.html

To Sean (tad on the board) check out the print Alex Wood did by Crumb, called: Harmonica Blues. I don't know HOW he did it, and I know my wasn't totally satisfied with the gradient / blend in the setting sun sky on all of the prints, but every one I've seen was ... just beautiful.

Best regards,

Barry

Thanks for the update and the link Barry

That's the way I remember doing it back in high school in the late 1950s.

There was also stencil film that you could cut by hand, it was an amber emusion on a sheet of non-stick paper. You would cut out the part of the film you wanted to print and then would use a horrible chemicle to adhere the film to the silk. God only knows what breathing that stuff did to one's lungs.

Gary

I worked for a year and a half at a screen printing factory and still appreciate the experience. They had small tables for smaller jobs as well as some pretty big tables. The biggest one they had, we called 'the monster', that took a screen at least 20 feet long. On that machine, we did banners that were posted at 7-11 convenience stores, some which were quite creative. It was fun to see the variety of things that can be done with screen printing. We printed on magnet material, material that was white like paper but various types that would stick when the backing was pulled off. We printed on Tyvek (banners) and corroplast. They also used various inks, some that air dried, some that would dry when it went under an ultraviolet light. Some ink was even transparent... It was really interesting.

Default What's going on

How did this msg from year 2000 get punched to page 2 ??
    I was reading it and wondered who this "Tad" was, until I realized it was ME about 6 years ago.

I guess everything we say will last forever.....

tad