Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hey, thanks, fossman...
    I didn't realize there was still any way to get Amapi for free. This is an excellent fundamental 3D app, with alot of potential to create some outstanding works. Guys & girls, download this one as soon as you can, especially if you've got broadband (just took me 37 seconds to download it on cable modem--I love cable modems!).

Great find, thanks for sharing it.

Brett

There is a nice program at

http://www.zbrush.com

3D and painting program. The demo can be used indefinitely by continuing to register the serial number each month.

Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
    Pablo Picasso

Please feel free to visit Dave's Renderosity Gallery

If I am to spend a lot of time learning a free or inexpensive 3D app..........

Which inexpensive apps are best to help a person to learn the 3D skills that can then be transferred easily to using the better apps?

Which inexpensive apps are set up similarly to the better 3D apps? (Easy transfer of skills and familiarity of layout.)

Which inexpensive 3D apps have the best documentation, tutorials, and online training?

I would like the knowledge and familiarity of the cheaper app to blend right into learning one of the better or pro 3D apps. I also don't want to struggle and guess how to use the features of a cheaper 3D app.

My only experience with 3D has been with MicroGrafx Simply 3D, which sucked, IMO. It had terrible documentation and tutorials, a crappy interface, and substandard output.

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Thanks for your input reguarding 3D Canvas.I bought the full version($69.95) last week.I could see I would need the better tools that came with it.Thanks again.

Mike

PC Plus Magazine 07/2002 included Maya Personal Edition on their CD ( online MPE is found @ Maya Personal Edition )

PC Plus 11/2001 has Cinema4D v7 (version8 is available for trial download @ Maxon's C4D home page

Then of course there is always

Electric Image Universe

or StrataPro demo

or trueSpace Demo

and/or any of the numerous links already provided by the good members above... Wings3D is being highly touted by many advanced 3d users around the web, as of course is Rhino...

[This message was edited by gidgit on November 07, 2002 at 00:33.]

and... just for Dale... well anyone really... for just getting into 3D I think one of the little know gems is one called Merlin3D ... they used to bundle a version of this with certain ATI video cards... worth looking into... This app is very intuitive and also pretty powerful for an entry/mid level app... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Have fun with this one folks... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

(it should be noted that the trial does not allow saving/exporting and leaves the cursed watermark on renders, however it does allow for imorting of several of the more well known file formats)

Merlin tuts

ATI AIW (All In Wonder cards ) both the 128 bit as well the radeon series of AIW iclude Merlin VR, which I believe is/was the entry level Merlin... but, for the price of the v card how can ya go wrong, and, what a great way to activate that old monitor sitting around collecting dust... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

and...

for those of you who are ready for a truly advanced app not usually mentioned in the top five but can hold it's own with any, there's always solidThinking

[This message was edited by gidgit on November 07, 2002 at 20:40.]

you may want to check out some of the 3d programs on sourceforge.net
    even though it is a full software site they have some 3d software:
    for 3d modeling:
    http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/t...p?form_cat=109
    for 3d rendering:
    http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/t...p?form_cat=110

this forum is also good for free 3d software:
    http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...1&m=6221931595

Been looking for several weeks now ...tried Blender and got buried by its very difficult (to me at least UI).

At gidgit's suggestion I tried Wings3D which was much friendlier to use and actually completed a Tut with it. But I just found and did a tutorial with Anima8or also free and fairly intuitive to use.

At first is looked a bit too cartoon like but some users are doing impressived stuff with it and using Gare's rule about being able to use it the first hour or so after opening it applied for me. It does Modeling, rendering and animation..but not tired them all yet.

you can see it here:
    Anim8or

Here is the tutorial I just finished:

Bob C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EggPlant.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	11321