Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I hope someone can help. I've upgraded from v3 to v4 and everything seems to be ok - no error messages etc. However shortly after I start to do any work (open old projects or start something new) the video corrupts and the machine crashes.

To replicate it I simply select and open somthing (eg buttons) and press any of the buttons on the left such as Font, Colour, Menus. The area which displays the results of these will, after about 5 buttons have been pressed, fail to display properly then fail to update and finally will show icons from other running programs "beneath" it on the screen. The system then freezes and I have to give the 3 fingered salute.

Has anyone any ideas?

Tech deatails: Win 98SE, resolution normally 800x600 but have also tried 1024x768, Dell Dimension 4400 with a 16mb ATI RAGE 128 Ultra. Webstyle is 4.0 (4.2156 Oct 22 2003). I run several othe graphics packages (incl WS3) without any problems.

I hope someone can help. I've upgraded from v3 to v4 and everything seems to be ok - no error messages etc. However shortly after I start to do any work (open old projects or start something new) the video corrupts and the machine crashes.

To replicate it I simply select and open somthing (eg buttons) and press any of the buttons on the left such as Font, Colour, Menus. The area which displays the results of these will, after about 5 buttons have been pressed, fail to display properly then fail to update and finally will show icons from other running programs "beneath" it on the screen. The system then freezes and I have to give the 3 fingered salute.

Has anyone any ideas?

Tech deatails: Win 98SE, resolution normally 800x600 but have also tried 1024x768, Dell Dimension 4400 with a 16mb ATI RAGE 128 Ultra. Webstyle is 4.0 (4.2156 Oct 22 2003). I run several othe graphics packages (incl WS3) without any problems.

Try turning off any anti virus or firewall programs. Worth a try, they caused numerous problems for me.

HI try turning your color settings from the display option in your control panel to 256 colors. Then start webstyle select an element and edit the color.

Next change your color settings back.

Let us know if this works for you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chickenman:
    Try turning off any anti virus or firewall programs. Worth a try, they caused numerous problems for me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip but it still crashes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bb2:
    HI try turning your color settings from the display option in your control panel to 256 colors. Then start webstyle select an element and edit the color.

Next change your color settings back.

Let us know if this works for you<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the advice and it had interesting results. Setting it at 256 then starting WS4 caused no problems (or at least let me do far far more than before). With WS4 still running I changed it back to 16bit colours and, again, no problems. Stoppped and restarted WS4 with it still set at 16bit colours and ... bang it crashes.

Any idea what the cause/fix is?

BTW this machine dual boots with WIN XP Pro on another partition. This morning I loaded WS4 on to the XP partition and it has no problems at any screen resolution. Is this a 98SE ATI driver problem?

[This message was edited by Splodge on March 01, 2004 at 07:21.]