Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am looking to get started in the 3D arena and have no clue where to start. What programs would you all recommend? Also any other tips you all can give would be great.

Matt

I am looking to get started in the 3D arena and have no clue where to start. What programs would you all recommend? Also any other tips you all can give would be great.

Matt

I've dabbled - with a Corel product some time ago, and Poser (for people) more recently.

Poser is easy to use at a basic level, but my conclusion is that 3d is exponentially harder and more time consuming than 2d.

Now perhaps someone can give a more optimistic view!

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I don't see how one could not be optimistic when it comes to 3d. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] There are vaults of online resources for students and beginners, a countless number of tutorials, and a large variety of programs to suite an individual's need.

Well Matt, where to begin! My first suggestion is that you look at the official websites of as many 3d graphics programs that you can find. I'll list some below. Read the features and anything else they list there. They'll all claim to be the best (that's given), and even more amusing, they all claim to be the FASTEST! None of them can prove it, of course. Just don't buy any of their propaganda. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Ultimately it's the artists who defines what programs are considered the 'best'. Things to look for when reading up on various different 3d programs:
    -raw features
    -program layout/style
    -workflow enhancments
    -and community.

You want to pay attention to the features to make sure you aren't held back by a program. When I first got into 3d many years ago, I thought I had the perfect program. Unfortunately, I realized only three months later (after spending $300 on it), that I wanted to go beyond the programs limits. I was fortunate that the program I got was one on the list for competitive upgrades with the program I decided I needed, but that isn't always the case, and losing that much money in that manner can be quite discouraging.

Once you find a program that you think you like, look for a demo version of it. Some programs don't offer demos. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] But many of the mainstream programs do.

Finally, try to see what sort of community the program has. Other users of the program can be an invaluable resource. Check to see if tutorials for that specific program are readily available, and perhaps check amazon.com to see what (if any) books have been written for it.

Here's a list of some of the various 3d programs out there off of the top of my head:
    trueSpace
    Bryce
    Inspire 3D (Products > Inspire 3D)
    Animation: Master
    Strata 3D
    Cinema 4D XL

These next few are sort of the 'top dogs' in Hollywood and Gaming. I put them seperate only because they'll leave you at least $2,000 short (some cost more than most people's cars). These ones are also characterized by an incredibly foul form of copy protection, known as 'the dongle'. It's a hardware key that must be plugged into your computer (LPT or USB) in order for you to use - or even open their program (without crashing your system). And no, I do not promote the piracy of software, but I do find the dongle a bit anoying at times. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    LightWave 3D
    Maya
    Softimage
    3D Studio Max Apparently they've changed their name to 3ds max, all lowercase. Go figure. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

A quickie note: Cinema4D is quickly gaining popularity in Hollywood, and I sorta feel bad not including them in the list. However, it still isn't a major player there yet.

Also, these were just some of the 3d applications off the top of my head. There are many others out there. These are also all fully featured applications, that is, they cover the three major stages: modeling, animating, and rendering. There are other noteworthy applications out there that have specialized purposes, such as Rhino 3D (a well-respected modeler) - not to mention a whole slew of stand-alone rendering applications.

Anyhow, I hope this was of some help. I fell in love with LightWave 3D the minute I saw their website (some 5-6 years ago), and after 'playing' with it for the first few minutes after I eagerly installed it, I was addicted. So, I'm probably too biased to recommend anything other than LightWave. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Simon,

That Corel product you dabbled with some time ago was most likely "Dream 3D" - which was discontinued...well, some time ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I think what you also need to do is to consider what "area" of 3D you want to focus on first. Poser and Bryce are fundamentally different products used to create very different works.

Do you want to focus on landscape work, models/figures, machinery/engines/technical. They each have different products attached to them.

T

Hi guys...

Earl, great reply. Lots of good info there.

Thomas, also a very smart thing to take note of. I agree with you about being specific in one's choice of programs.

Just a few other notes i'd like to add for mbugbee's sake...

I've tried more than a few 3D apps over the last few years - Truespace/3DS Max/Bryce/Poser/C4D... When i found C4D, i was immediately sold on one specific thing: how easy it was to understand and use the GUI (graphic user interface), compared to the others i'd tried. As a beginner to 3D, that was important to "me", but may not be to others - i only got a C+ in math! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

C4D, as Earl noted, IS becoming quite popular now. But more importantly i think is that Maxon (creators) also provide different "levels" of their program, depending on how seriously and quickly you want to jump into 3D imaging (which i haven't seen any other company do, yet).
    I suggest you checkout their site and explore the 3 'levels' for yourself to see which, if any, would suit your needs at this time.

PS: i'm not trying to appear partial to C4D, just providing more info on it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Not wanting this to become a Cinema 4D forum, but I must say I too like C4D. I have tried TrueSpace, Strata, Blender AnimationMaster in my few months of 3D experience.

C4D is more stable and easier than all the rest. It is lacking in character animation tools, but I think this is being addressed via plugin's. It lacks a few modeling tools that I have found useful in other apps. So I am doing a lot of modeling in Rhino. Rhino is a great modeler, if modeling is your only goal then you may want to check it out.

But mostly get a 3D package learn it and enjoy!

--Randy

Adobe Dimensions 3. $149 and very self explanatory. And EXCELLENT at making 3D text.

Gary David Bouton

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Idiot Bouton here clicked on the wrong button to display an uploaded picture of Adobe Dimensions work.

Here 'tis.

Regards,
    Gary@ GaryWorld.com

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balloons.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	12072  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Ya you're right there about Adobe Dimensions Gary. I forgot all about that one. I used it a few years back, and i agree - it's a good 'starter' program for sure. Easy to use, easy to learn from.

Onward'n'Upward!
    Mark...