Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello.....I'm sure I saw a tutorial around here recently, for creating a very delicate, completely transparent, latticed glass sphere (as opposed to a lumpy opaque glass ball).
    Can anyone point the way?...thanks in anticipation..Lewes
    IP

Hello.....I'm sure I saw a tutorial around here recently, for creating a very delicate, completely transparent, latticed glass sphere (as opposed to a lumpy opaque glass ball).
    Can anyone point the way?...thanks in anticipation..Lewes
    IP

Sorry to harp on about this but I'm sure I did see the above tutorial (or was I dreaming?)..it might not have been a Mark The Keeper tutorial, but the subject of the tutorial was a sphere very much like the beautiful ones in Mark's "Water Enigma" in his personal image gallery..

Have searched the MTK tutorials again, and I'm blowed if I can see it...(or was I only dreaming?) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] ..Lewes
    IP

I've been searching with you. Mark did indeed some great tuts on transparant materials, and then you also have his experienced tuts on his site...if it was on talkgraphics, are you shure it was Photoshop and not Xara?
    IP

I don't think it would have been Xara - because, sadly, (as I use a Mac, which I love, incidentally), Xara isn't available for Mac. I'll check their site just in case, because I did go there for a Mac download before I knew it wasn't available..Lewes
    IP

No Erik...it remains a mystery,I'm afraid - unless you can throw some light Mark, I guess it will remain so? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ...Lewes
    IP

Hiya folks...

Hmmm... well i know for sure that i haven't done a tute about creating the type of orbs in my gallery pic (i did that in PS v5.5 btw). And i don't think i've ever seen a tute on that anywhere that i've ever been either.

I'm real curious now Lewes exactly where you DID see that tute? Maybe you just read about something like that...? Or were you at some point actually at the site that had the tute written?

I can try to explain, without going into a full-on tute explanation, what i did in my gallery effect -- if i can rememeber off the top of my head. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] That image was created in '97 or '98, and i lost the PSD file for it. DOH!

But i'll see if i can figure the effect out again and make a tute of it. I can't say when i can have it finished, but i'll start in on it asap. The lattice texture i know was created using the Patchwork filter (Texture/Patchwork). And the Spherize filter applied to the texture within a circular selection. Then the layer blend mode changed to produce a transparent effect. But i also know that there were a lot of layers used (multiple copies set to different blend modes probably).

And that's about all i can think of to do to be of any help here.
    IP

http://www.tutorialhound.com/photosh...utorials.shtml

Here you can find many links to PS tuts on the web. Maybe there's a site...

About Xara: no, unfortunately they don't have a Mac copy, and I suppose they're not going to make one. Pity on one hand as there are many Mac users who would love it, but understandable too as Illustrator (and Freehand) are the traditional values in the Mac-oriented industry and, as I know from work, tradition and some conservatism would rule Xara out even before they began coding.

Still, Mac owners can buy Eric Wenger's incredible Artmatic (www.artmatic.com) Wenger is the brain behind Bryce if I'm not mistaken.
    They can also find some nice stuff at www.deeptoy.com .
    Me, poor me, having a PC (this rhymes!!!...I'm a poet, didn't know it, time I show it)can't use AM and Wenger won't make a PC version, probably for the same reason.
    And although you can use Win software on Mac, the opposite isn't possible...
    But whether AM works under OSX, I have no idea.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP

Well... unfortunately i have to say, i've stumped even myself... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I have no copy of that PSD file anywhere, and for the life of me cannot replicate the exact effect... yet. I'm just wondering if PS5.5's 'color dodge' blend mode vs PS6's 'color dodge' maode has any bearing here... won't know for sure.

However... i am getting close.

Here's an image i just reworked, and it's got all the potential, except the exact lattice surface details. But it's a close effect.

If anyone wants this PSD file to pick apart just say so and i'll post a link to download it (it's too big to post here - 587kb zipped).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glass-sphere-3.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	6368  
    IP

Thanks Mark and Erik for your kind help - I know I'm not as young as I used to be - but I don't think my mind is going just yet! So will keep searching and post back if I find the elusive tutorial!...meanwhile I for one would love to download the PhotoShop file you display in your post, Mark.(In my case would need to be able to unstuff it in Mac format)....thanks again for your help......Lewes
    IP