Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is *old* gear...

I'm so happy: After doing a clean install of Windows2000, it blocked me from re-loading the File Manager from Norton Navigator (long since defunct). I have endured several weeks of frustration with PowerDesk from Ontrack which is a very poor match. I have now found that I can copy the exe and other files from a Windows98 installation, and nearly everything works beautifully.

I attach an annotated screen grab showing the key features; a few of these are present in PowerDesk but not all. Would someone like to build and market a new replacement?!

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nn.gif 
Views:	669 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	6526  
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Sad, not really

I guess I've learned to put up with the limitations of GUI and Explorer.

Back in my DOS days I was a wiz with 4DOS and Norton Commander. (both have windows equivalents now, but I've lost the will to use them)

This link is from a slightly different lineage, the above mentioned Norton Commander and not Navigator, perhaps it will be of interest.

http://www.winfrigate.com/Features.htm

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

It's certainly worth a proper look.

I used Norton Desktop before its Navigator incarnation and the File Manager became my one always open app. The fury in the Compuserv forum when its demise was announced was incredible. I still use Symantec's AV and Utilities tools, but why they could not have kept a File Manager in there I don't know.

Thanks

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thought I'd keep this old thread upto date...

Directory Opus from http://www.gpsoft.com.au/ is pretty close to what I was looking for.

NN still works under XP too.
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I never understood these replacements for explorer. Two explorer views they say? So what... I can open two explorer windows and make them tile vertically or horizontally; same thing.
    Zip? Explorer has it. FTP? Explorer has it only people can't find it. Advanced search? Windows+F and click on "change preferences" Switching to the command prompt in a particular directory? Also possible if you change a setting. Filters? Also possible if you know how to do it.

Serious, I can almost write a little booklet with things in explorer that people never heard of. It's the lack of exprience why people buy these useless tools.

Also, many of the options in these tools are a descendant of the original explorer. I know, because I program in Delphi and I can make file managers like that in no time by using parts of explorer and make it looks like a totally new program. Take for example the right click on a file or folder and all the options you have; part of explorer.

I use "Ace Explorer", a browser but it sure does a good job of replaceing Windows Explorer.
    Truckerette49 aka Judy Riggs

Elysian

You may be able to, but I can't. I could, with some effort make a hammer but I am happy to pay a reasonable price to get one ready-made.

I have given up on Opus; little irritants. I have been using the Norton one for so long, if it has foibles, I am just no longer aware of them.

Judy
    I'll have a look at your recommendation but I don't have high hopes!
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Simon,

I fondly remember Norton File Manager. It appeared after Norton bought another company, too long ago for me to remember the name at this time. The original companies version was more versatile, in my opinion; however both were very good products for Windows 3.0/3.1 and pre-date Windows Explorer by several years. I'm not sure why Elysian would think they were decendents of explorer when in my memory it is quite the opposite. Before Windows 95 was available, Windows only had Program Manager and File Manager. Both of which were crude and awkward to use.

If you find a suitable substitute please post here. I know how to use Windows Explorer as Elysian mentions, but would like to have an alternative.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill ... and Judy,

I gave Ace a quick look but although it has some of what I would want, just too many features I rely on aren't there.

I don't know how the licensing stands with obsolete software; if there was a way of repacking the Norton tool, I would sprinkle it widely! The new version of QuickView integrates just fine too.

I do wonder if these tools pick on bits of the Windows tool and then just add on functionality. In Ace, the Find dialog is basically the same as the Windows one - but no saveable criteria which is one thing I want. Opus has this but it is v clunky.

Oh well....
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Simon,

Have a look at Total Commander, it works for me.

http://www.ghisler.com/
    -- Bob