Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

It seems that all too few digital people understand the crucial difference between working in 8-bit vs 16-bit per channel - hence this simple little test, to conclusively demonstrate it.

This image (in max. JPG quality - no artifacts) shows four layers of overlapping gradations, from white to light gray, set to merge in Multiply mode. The top version is done in Picture Publisher 10 in 16-bit grayscale mode - the combined gradations are smooth as silk. But the bottom version is done in Photoshop 6 in 8-bit grayscale mode - and the combined gradations shows very bad banding. But while PS6 does allow for working with 16-bit files, it does NOT allow for using layers - hence ALL layering work in Photoshop is doomed to be plagued by such banding problems! The same goes for XaraX and all other programs which are only 8-bit per channel. (Working in 24-bit color does not change this one iota: it's the bit depth of the channels which count.)

Thank goodness for PictPub 10!

At a time when every $100 scanner now can scan in high-bit mode, almost all our software is still mired in the ancient, crude 8-bit world! I shout in despair at the heavens: WHEN are the software companies going to address this grave problem?!?!?

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-bit_vs_16-bit.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	7875  
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

IP