Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally OT

Hybrid View

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Sorry I don't know where else to get advice. My 18 month computer came with Adaptec CD Creator and Direct CD. Well I have used the Direct CD part of the program to create CD's and have not until today tried to use the CD Creator which is the program to copy CD's. Crash, Crash, Crash. So go to their site only to find out #1 my 3.5 version has no support because it is now owned by some other company who now is in version 6!! ( from 3.5 to 6 in 18 months! no way apparently I got shafted by the outfit I bought my computer from.

Okay do I have to use this brand of software for my write/ re-write CD drive. and if not does someone know of a reliable software package?

Sniff, sniff.
    Judi

I have used Adaptec/Roxio EZ CD Creator version 3.5, version 4 and version 5 - all without problem for either music CD creation or data file archives.

V5 works fine with Win 98, Win ME, Win 2000 professional and Win XP home.

Thanks for the advance warning re version 6 - I was on the point of upgrading, but will wait a while to see if it improves.

Jimmy

Easy CD Creator 5 was apparently the best version, then version 6 sucked badly, losing Roxio a lot of business and generating thousands of customer complaints.

I was unlucky enough to buy version 6, because I assumed it would be the best. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Maybe you could still buy version 5, possibly on EBay.

I think I will go with Nero after I try the demo and am satisfied it isn't a coaster generator. Until then I will use Easy CD Creator 3.5. (I create mostly data CDs - backing up my writing and such.)

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Like Dale, I mostly use CD/R to copy/ backup files I've created. If Nero does not support this and it does has definate software conflicts with Adaptec. I think Nero won't be what I need. It is cheaper to put the few programs that I might need to re-install in case of a disaster in a safe deposit box. I am not into downloading and creating music CD's mostly because there are not enough hours in the day to justify playing around with seaching and downloading music files on my very s-l-o-w rural phone lines.

Surely there must be a good program that does both!

Thanks so much for all the concern and help.

Judi

Hi Judy,

I gave up on Roxio/Adaptec a long time ago. Nero is the only way to go. They are constantly updating the software (reminds me, I have to go and look to see what new updates are out there for my burner).

I'm not a great fan of the drag and drop stuff with CDRW's but it's much better than anything Roxio can offer. My room mate even admitted that the Nero was the way to go but opted to stay with Roxio and all it's bugs because he's to damn lazy to learn how to use Nero properly, his loss! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I can also tell you that a CDR is not formatable for use with the InCD software. It is only functional with CDRW's. The disk MUST be a rewritable disk and CDR's are a write once only format.

Sorry I can't be of further help to ya!!

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---

http://www.ramwolffsworld.com/
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Sorry I don't know where else to get advice. My 18 month computer came with Adaptec CD Creator and Direct CD. Well I have used the Direct CD part of the program to create CD's and have not until today tried to use the CD Creator which is the program to copy CD's. Crash, Crash, Crash. So go to their site only to find out #1 my 3.5 version has no support because it is now owned by some other company who now is in version 6!! ( from 3.5 to 6 in 18 months! no way apparently I got shafted by the outfit I bought my computer from.

Okay do I have to use this brand of software for my write/ re-write CD drive. and if not does someone know of a reliable software package?

Sniff, sniff.
    Judi

even I can use it. For the first couple of times, I had difficulty finding the button and then I found it was really logical. Their website has a long list of supported CD-drives and I suggest you check for yours, first, just in case, but you could always ask them. The UK price is pretty cheap so I guess it should be affordable in US.

Jon
    Jon

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

sorry to hear you are having trouble with your new board.

However, your problem with Nero and your CD burner seems to be that you want to perform a packet writing to the CD, that means a CD-RW action. Before you will be able to use your CD-RW you have to format it. This means you will have to dl the packet writing plug-in from the ahead (nero) site and install it. The standard burning app won't be able to perform this task - it can only delete a CD partition.

The CD format command will set up a file system on your CD-RW, so that you can copy your files. No file system - no CD-RW.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I've been working on this problem all day with no success. I downloaded the Nero and it seems to be an easy to use program, and my CD R/RW drive is compatible. The program copies the CD just fine but won't write to the blank CD. I get an error message "track following error" I check out the possible reasons for the error and one stood out as a big possible. "Recent replacement of Mother Board, that has not been configured right". I had to have a new one put in last month and things have not been right since. Half the time it boots up only to the point where my wallpaper is showing but that is all. Or when it is almost finished booting up it will start the process all over again, with that nasty warning "You did not shut down properly" I have no idea how to fix that.

Thanks Rich for the info on the later versions of Adaptec. Guess I'll just have to forget that program as I need to upgrade to Windows XP so I can get the new Painter 8.

Judi

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

try NERO Burning ROM

It's just fantastic. No tweaking, no hassle, supports all recorders, burns DVD's as well. And if you should invest into a firewire CD burner, it will handle this one as well. Or an external SCSI subsystem. Or a USB burner. Just install and run it.

Nero is even more reliable, stable and versatile than any Linux burner application <sigh, shame on Linux in this case)

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--