Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A statement was made on my Fabric Challenge post, about "girly things" Now even though I consider myself a way back feminist (DON'T even ask how way back) Egg's comment did not insult me, but it certainly did irritate me as to why more females on this board are not posting.

I can not believe there is only 2 or 3 of us on this board. In my local art association the women way out number the men and if I do say so many of them are more than excellent artists.

I want to see more "girly" art here.!!!!! I.e. a woman's point of view of the world, which in these days most likely does not include cross stitch design. Burn your bras and post!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

A statement was made on my Fabric Challenge post, about "girly things" Now even though I consider myself a way back feminist (DON'T even ask how way back) Egg's comment did not insult me, but it certainly did irritate me as to why more females on this board are not posting.

I can not believe there is only 2 or 3 of us on this board. In my local art association the women way out number the men and if I do say so many of them are more than excellent artists.

I want to see more "girly" art here.!!!!! I.e. a woman's point of view of the world, which in these days most likely does not include cross stitch design. Burn your bras and post!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

I am in such awe at the talent exhibited here, I hesitate to post....but there's only one way to learn....so here goes!

I'm new to XaraX...and know how to do this in other programs...but can't for the life of me figure this one out. It's probably very simple...

I want to put the flowers in the pot...and just can't get them there. Would it be better to just put them on top of the pot...in the manner in which Gary did with the shamrocks in one of his tutorials...or is there a way to slice the top elipse and just make it look like the flowers are in it?

One other question....different subject. How do you fill a drawing made with a Wacom tablet? I tried converting to an editable shape, but it still won't fill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I'm attaching the Xar file of the flowers and pot...maybe someone would be so kind as to enlighten me?

SandDancr Studios

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.

Those tulips are beautful.

Hi SandDancr,

Your tulips are very nice. To answer your question about putting the flowers into the pot, there are a few things you would have to do. I noticed the lip of the pot is an 8pt line. If you remove the line and then substitue another ellipse to replace it you can then slice the lip. To make the slice, draw a horizontal line and use the Shape Editor to make it conform to the shape you want (refer to the attachment). A portion of the sphere used to make the pots bowl would also need to be sliced away as well.
    http://eighthfire.dreamwater.com/tulips.jpg
    I do not have the font you used, so the text is different from yours.

I hope this helps.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tulipsinpot.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	18102  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I tried with slicing and left the rim a bit dirty looking. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Name:	tulip.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	15292  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Hi!

The tulips are great! When I opened the dot-xar file the only thing I wanted to fiddle with was those "F's". They looked wrong to me given the pot is round and the vantage point is from slightly above. I simply imagined some lines drawn around the pot and then resized an skewed the f's accordingly. Of course when you are having fun you can't stop so I continued to play with it more. You can see the result ...

Thanks Sundancer!, Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	tulip.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	5935  

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do you fill a drawing made with a Wacom tablet? I tried converting to an editable shape, but it still won't fill <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One answer is that you have to have closed shapes in order to fill the areas contained. In that regard, lines drawn via tablet are no different than those drawn with the mouse. Some time ago someone posted a way to fill unclosed shapes. I forget how it was done but perhaps someone will remember. Although that method made it possible, I doubt it is very practical when many lines are involved.

If I was sketching with the tablet and then wanted some fills I would tend to draw new closed shapes for the colour regions - shapes with no line colour. These can be put on their own layer behind the lines or applied on top with stained glass transparency (you don't have to give the transparency any "shape" like flat, eliptical, etc.).

And one last thing, in xara x you can convert your lines to shapes and then apply fills to the lines themselves. Same for transparency effects.

Regards, Ross

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

The great thing about this forum is all the wonderful help one receives!

Thank you all!

Ross I love your little guy...gives me a great idea for a fun web set!

I tried all your suggestions and the attached is the result...not too bad for a first try....altho I am sure 6 months down the road I will perfect it.

Ohhh...and the F's were really dings from a font called Hong's Dings. Still working on the perspective thing...so I didn't put them all the way around.

SandDancr Studios

Name:	flowers.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	12032  
    Joelle

Judi - It is surprising to me that more women don't actively participate in the Xara forums. Generally the discussion is of interest to anyone interested in things Xara regardless of gender or age. It seems to me those who do participate present themselves as friendly and generous to others. Lurkers, regardless of their xara skills should be feeling comfortable to post and participate. Regulars go out of their way to welcome and encourage new posters.

The number of hits the topic "where do you live" had suggests to me that there is a significant number of lurkers. I don't know if anything needs to be done to get more active participation from the lurkers. Why aren't they participating? I suspect many have bootlegged copies and are scared to participate. Others probably are intimidated by others' skills and are afraid they'll look stupid. Of course there is no reason for them to feel that way. I would hope that through reading posts they'll see that the active participants vary in skill levels. All of us have something to contribute and do learn from one another. Even someone like Gary learns new things and gets new ideas from novices - if he didn't, I doubt he would actively participate. That isn't to say Gary doesn't enjoy helping others - of course he does. My point is more that these forums have something to offer all xara users.

Do we have to do anything to make women feel more comfortable around here? How about kids - are they being driven away? Is Xara's marketing gender biased?

Regards, Ross