Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi

I'm sure that there is a very obvious and simple answer to this but I have spent a looooong time trying to figure it out so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I want to put a simple black border around an image in either fireworks or photoshop - how can I do this?

Many Thanks!

never used fireworks, but with PS, turn on your grids, (VIEW-->SHOW-->GRID) then using the rectangular marquee tool, drag a rectangle out to the size of your border using the grid as a ref. (Helps to keep your border constant). Then inverse the selection (CTRL SHIFT I) and on a new layer fill with black.

If you want your border *not* to cover any of the existing image, then you can expand the canvas size (IMAGE-->CANVAS SIZE), and then create a new layer behind your image and fill with black. This method though will increase the overall size of your image just so you know :

~Vp~
    ~Vp~

Select the entire photo/art/drawing with Select ALL.

Click on Select/Modify/Border, and enter in the size of the border you want.

When the border is selected, choose the color you want and put it into the foreground color box.

Use Alt+Delete to fill it with that color. (Or use the Paint Bucket.)

It will not be a solid border by default, but sort of a faded one, like a bevel.

If you want it to be solid, deselect and then select the border with the Magic Wand at 50 tolerance, and then Alt+Delete again, and it will fill with a solid color.

http://eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Thankyou very much guys!

One last tip, if you have PS6, go into "blending options" and choose "Stroke". You can modify the width/colour. Of course, if you change opacity on the layer, the border gets changed too. But for simplicity 'tis da bomb! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com

Choose a layer or select an area.

Choose a Foreground color for the border.

Click Edit/Stroke.

I find if the Stroke is to go on the outside edge of the entire image, choose Inside or Center in the Stroke dialog box. Inside will make it the full size you choose, Center will make it half of that size.

http://eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll