Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

With this technique it is quite easy to make fancy frame profiles as in the example below...

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artsyfartsy.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	18368  

Thanks Ross those are both nice! I kinda had trouble following what to do as I am so new to trying to make these things myself. You do not know how many hours I have spent so far "tinkering" around with Xara... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I guess I am what you would call a newbie... I am even having problems with the bitmap gallery and saving my imported images. I read the instructions and did the save but next time I opened up xara only the default xara jpg was there. So you see how much I know... hehehehe

But since I have become a "graphaholic", I am not giving up yet on trying to learn. I have on many days worked for hours on something only to have it not come out as I wanted and shut Xara out real quick.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Keep playing with xara and you will quickly get a sense of how you can use it to express yourself.

Regarding the bitmap gallery. Indeed when you open a new document the bitmap gallery will only have the default. If you proceed and import a bitmap into the document it will show up in that gallery along with the default one. The gallery provides an overview of all the bitmaps associated with the current document only. Close the document and open a new one and you are right back to the default bitmap only.

If you want a more persistant gallery of your collection of bitmaps you can add folders to the clipart gallery. To add your own folders to it, open the gallery and click the button that says "disk clipart...". Direct it to any of your folders and it will ask you about creating an index. By telling it yes it will search the folder for relevant file types and create a gallery of thumbnails for you. This will provide quick access to those files from within xara. The next time you open xara, your gallery folder will still be there. Dragging from the gallery will have the same effect as using import under the file menu.

If you subsequently add more files to the folder they won't show up in the gallery unless you repeat the process and add the folder again. That allows xara to update your folder in the gallery.

You can create similar custom folders in the fill gallery too. It is really handy if you collect bitmaps you intend to use as fills applied to shapes or text. You can also add folders of fonts to your font gallery.

Hope this helps. Don't forget that xara has help files that are quite good at explaining things. Before you get frustrated try xara help.

If you've bought the program and have the CD's that Xara Ltd. provides, be sure to check out the "movies". They provide a great overview of almost all program features.

It is a great program. It is easy to learn if you have the right attitude - and most importantly - it is fun!

Regards, Ross

Perhaps this is not necessary, and I do not want to interfere with Ross' beautiful frames, but, being quite new myself, I suppose a more "basic" approach might be welcome. If this isn't the case, simply ignore this reply.

First choose the dimensions of your three rectangles. There are easier ways, but we will put them one unto the other, like three sheets of paper. The back one is the biggest, and the top one is the smallest.

a/ Choose now your three different backgrounds, let's say that they are bitmaps, and open them in Xara. Xara knows now for this document that you want to do something with them. Now resize them one by one by dragging so that they fit an exact number of times in your rectangle (height and width. this involves a little calculation, but is much more beautiful.)You will have three different dimensions, one for each rectangle.

b/ Take the rectangle tool and drag you first rectangle. Give it the dimensions of the first bitmap. Select it, open the fill tool, choose bitmap fill, and select your bitmap. Fill.
    Do the same with the other two.

c/Now take the selector tool, hold down shift and select your three filled rectangles. Open ARRANGE, choose ALIGNMENT, and select ALIGN CENTRALLY for horizontal and vertical. Apply. They are now centrally one above the other. Start by selecting the top one.

d/ Take the selector tool, and select the three this time (another technique) by dragging a selection around this drawing. (it has to be completely inside your selection rectangle.)
    Open ARRANGE and choose GROUP. When you group, the grouped things are changed together.

e/ Select the group, and drag it by a corner to the dimensions you wish, ot fill in the exact values in the toolbar.

If anything is unclear, say it: it is never you who are "clumsy", but the one who tries to explain who jumped over a vital step.

Success.

Idea: When you have your triple background as you wish: try opening the bevel tool and drag a bevel. Play with the options in the toolbar (upper left hand corner. You may want to save first.)

Idea 2: Select the drawing, ARRANGE, UNGROUP and ALT-click on the topmost rectangle. Now this one is selected, the others not. Open the transparancy tool, choose i.e. FLAT (or afterwards another one) in the tranparancy possibilities on the toolbar (upper left hand corner again: Xara is VERY easy as it is always the same thing you do) and drag the slider on the same toolbar. When your bitmap fills are quite different, you might see some great effects...

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on February 23, 2001 at 02:44 AM.]

is the gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threerect.gif 
Views:	291 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	17852  

Thanks again Ross for that idea of the folders. I had tried for so long to save images in the bitmap gallery that I thought I was doing something wrong and have/had lost interest in trying... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But will try this idea and this way do not have to import each and everytime I want to try something....

Thanks very much Erik for those step by step instructions. (exactly what I needed. hehehe) I am printing out the whole section so I can try all of these things. I know once I get the hang of this that I will be daring and do more with Xara. As far as making my own graphics I do not ever think I could attempt that. I am such a perfectionist that I do not have the patience for the detail work that goes into making so many of these nice things... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But to get the basics down would be a great start.

You guys are the best! Since I have looked at Xara's help both through the program and the online help I still could not find the answers like I do with this board and thankful there are so many talented people here that will help..

I have started a new thread called "Frames Tutorial" which more clearly (I hope) illustrates how to make somewhat realistic picture frames. It really is quite easy so don't let yourself be intimidated by the "I could never do that" self doubts.

Anyone trying to learn Xara X should not miss Gary's tutorials at the XaraXone.

Regards, Ross