Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RAW vs JPG?

it depends on what you are doing and wanting to do. slr are a bit more pricey. then you have to buy lens's for it. they are pricey. Rich has the Canon 20d and i am sure he can give 1000 reasons to buy it, just as i can give you just as many to buy a Minolta. My brother in law has the Canon powerpro shot 1 and he swears by it. i take everyday pics mess with some macros and take moon shots. now my moon shots are no where near Richs, wander on over to the non xara gallery and you will see posts there by Rich yself and a cple by Glenn. you can see the differnece in pics. mind you though that they are tweaked dwon form 10mb and 4mb pics to roughly 50-100k. i am going to get a adapter for my camera and a telescope for astronomy photography so then there is another whole world to enter. (no pun intended) http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif go to your nearest camera store and play with the different models. if they are a good store they should let you take pics with them and either email them to you or put on a cd or print them out for you so you can judge what you like better. hope this helps
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com
    IP

SLR Cameras (DIGITAL)
    I have a 20D kit and I suggest you go with that I bought mine for 1339 at www.buydig.com they have good Prices on the 350DXT (8mp)Kit for 900 dollars with. Nikon is Also Coming out with a D50 6MP camera for 900. The D70s is also coming out and you can prolly get a good Deal on the D70. I suggest the Canon Camrea's because of the 8mp, the 2 extra MP are good for cropping. Difference between Nikon and Canon Digital Camera's Canon have very low Noise at high ISO's
    and have ISO 100, while Nikon's lowest is 200. So Canon have cleaner images, whihc most likely wont be noticed unless you get large prints. Canon's new SLR are all 8MP... the 20D is a league of its own, with 5FPS shooting up to 24 pics, 9 point Auto Focus ISO 3200, Mirror Lock up and A solid metal Body. The 350XT, D50, D70s are all on par with eachother. They all start up almost imdediately. 350XT has the 8mp sensor, ISO 100, 1/4000 shutter, 3FPS. D70s 6MP 3FPS, 1/8000 shutter, 1/500 flash sync.

I suggest 350XT if you want to spend under 1000, and the 20D if you want to go all out. But If you dont know if you want the D70 or the 350XT, because they are so alike, Hold them see if you like the feel. You dont want a camera you dont like.
    Rian
    IP

5FPS is a good thing... here is an image with my 20D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	3571  
    Rian
    IP

Hey Ryan, by chance do you happen to work for a camera store http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
    cuz it sounds to me like you know everything about these cameras... I found a canon 20D for for 1200. I can hardly wait to get it.....

hey can you send me an email? I want to ask you more Q's about the canon cameras?

:-)
    IP

Be careful with who you buy from... I tried to buy from a store that had it for really cheap, and it was a scam, be sure to check http://www.resellerratings.com/

Buydig, had the best price and most reputable that I found... my e-mail is bloodroach@comcast.net

no i dont work for a store, I just research, and made sure I bought the camera that was right for me
    Rian
    IP

Hello BJ,

For some really in-depth reviews check out: http://www.steves-digicams.com They don't miss a beat!

As for the 20D... From what I have read - you can't go wrong.

Good luck... and enjoy! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    IP

IP

Also one other thing when Considering going with the 20D/350DXT and the D70s/50D, is the kit Lens that comes with it. The Nikon Camera's come with better lens' than The Canon, THough I believe the new Kit Lens withe the 350DXT is pretty good. I believe Canon has better quality Telephoto Lens' than that of Nikon, I think the Profesional L lens' are Very good, and am buying a 100-400mm L lense with Image Stabalizer, when I get out of bootcamp. To compare these Camera's I suggest going to www.dpreview.com they have in dpeth forums and Extrememly detailed reviews on all these Cameras but the D50, which will be coming out in May I bleieve. As I said before, Hold the two camera's check the menu's see if the layout is to your tastes, and Be sure the ergonomics are good, 20D might be too heave and the 350XT too light. I like the weight of the 20D. Oh and here is a tip, if your at a ritz bring a flash card with you, take some pictures with each camera... bring your card home and compare the pictures. The 20D and 350XT will yeild very similar Photo's, but the D70 will have different Color tone and exposure becuase of the processing. You may notice more noise in the D70 at higher ISO's 800 and above, you wont see any visible noise at ISO 800 on the Canon Cam's. I think the ergonomics is the deal breaker... between the d70 and the 350XT, the 20D is a must if you have the money.
    Rian
    IP