Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RAW vs JPG?

this is what the image looks like when I converted it into a RAW format?! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAW_test.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	2296  
    IP

Raw is generic for unprocesses data from the camera. My 20D saves to CR2 extension. You don't go from JPG to a raw set of data. If you had a raw data file and the plugin with PSCS, you only need to look in the file folder where the file exist. PSCS will recognize the file and open the plugin.

A JPG would be an 8 bit/channel file, or 24 bit combined. Raw data for my camera is 12 bit/channel, and can be saved to 16 bit/channel in PSCS. The additional 4 bits are empty.

The CR2 files from my camera are about 10MB, and the JPEGs are about 3.5MB. The camera takes the raw data and processes it into a JPEG. It isn't reversible.

What your looking for is unprocessed data from the camera (called raw as a generic term). The file extension depends on the camera manufacturer.

If you looked at the Adobe site, they have DGN converter. I think the idea is to convert the many flavors to a single format.

Rich
    IP

WOW thanks for the help... :-) that sheds a little light on one....
    IP

BJ just remember to have a BIG memory card. raw files average 10mb+ per pic. depending on the resolution you are shooting. my minolta a200 takes raw or raw and jpeg or just jpeg. and i forgot i had it on raw/jpeg and i filled a 512mb card in a heartbeat! what kind of camera you got?
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com
    IP

I have a 20D also, and a GIG card at 80x it fills I get 80 pictures from it, and only 6 images on contiuous shooting mode.

My question, I dont shoot raw, but I dont know how to do raw, can someone give me an example of your Raw workFlow... because I dont understand how to do it... Thanks
    Rian
    IP

THATS A REALLY GOOD Q!

i would really like to know as well.......
    IP

the camera i " will be getting here soon is a Cannon 20D Im still kind of shopping around trying to find one that will not "break my buget"... what kind U got Mike.S?
    IP

another Q that just popped into my head......and a little of the topic, DO any of you subscribe to any of the photoshop magazines which one is your favorate?

---------------------------------------------
    Im still a little confused how to get the RAW settings options to come up in photoshop or do they automatically come up somehow.....
    IP

Minolta A200. it isnt a slr. but it is considered a slr type. i can add teleconverter, fisheye lens and filters to the lens. it retails for around 700-800. i didnt need a slr. so this was perfect for what i need.
    Mike
    IP

Originally posted by BJ_ADAMS:
    another Q that just popped into my head......and a little of the topic, DO any of you subscribe to any of the photoshop magazines which one is your favorate?

---------------------------------------------
    Im still a little confused how to get the RAW settings options to come up in photoshop or do they automatically come up somehow.....
    i dont subscribe to any magazines but do a google search for photoshop tut and forums and you will find 1000's of them out there. if you open a raw file in ps the dialog boxs open automatically so youcan do all your adjustments
    Mike
    IP