Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RAW vs JPG?

I recently bought a photoshop magazine in side there was an article on RAW file formats. I noticed that there was some kind of filter or somthing that could be installed into photoshop to tweek your images. I know that the NEW SLR digital cameras have this file format and I was just curious if any of you have used this feature.
    IP

I recently bought a photoshop magazine in side there was an article on RAW file formats. I noticed that there was some kind of filter or somthing that could be installed into photoshop to tweek your images. I know that the NEW SLR digital cameras have this file format and I was just curious if any of you have used this feature.
    IP

Photoshop CS includes a RAW plugin. You can get the latest 2.4 version from Adobe for CS that supports more cameras. You can also get RawShooter from Corel(free). Rich
    IP

I use a Nikon 5700 camera and since trying the raw format and the import filter in PSCS I would not use any other format. The control over exposure, temperature etc. is far superior to the standard PS adjustment filters.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365
    IP

where can I get this plugin? I have CS the Creative Suite what CD is it on any of you know?

On another note:
    can you take a JPG and convert it into a RAW file Or, does it have to come from the camera?
    I also want to know is this format universal as far as other apps. go?
    IP

The RAW plugin was installed with Photoshop CS for me. It was under plug-ins/ file formats. The 2.4 replacement is available from Adobe, and replaces the existing file. RAW is non processed data from the sensor. A jpg is the sensor data with post processing. The RAW data comes from the camera. Some applications can read RAW data. Each camera produces its own flavor. The 2.4 plugin supports more cameras. Raw Shooter supports several cameras, also. I have a Canon camera, and it has comes with Canon software. If you had a RAW file, PSCS might see it if the plugin supports that flavor. Rich
    IP

this is going to sound really dumb, but how do you load that specific plugin into photoshop and where to you go to access it.
    IP

If you have Photoshop CS, then there should be a plugin available. In earlier versions, this was an added expense. To update the existing plugin, you would make a copy of the installed plugin and put in another location for safety. Then copy and paste the new version to the existing location. The 2.4 version is available for CS only at Adobe.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

You can go to Pixmantec for Raw Shooter as an option, and that runs standalone.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plugins.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	6843  
    IP

In Photoshop you don't need to access the plugin as soon as you open a supported 'RAW' file the plugin will activate. I use a Nikon camera so my 'RAW' files have a suffix of 'NEF'.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365
    IP

Rich, thanks for showing me where that file was located :-)
    now, the only Q is HOW DO I ACCESS THE PLUGIN

I took the liberty and converted a JPG to a RAW and it totally messed up the image?! why would this happen?

I really dont know what the RAW options do.....
    so, I saved it as defalt can someone please explain (in english) what these options do?
    thanx,
    IP