Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

im using Photoshop 5.5.

i just wanted to know if there was a way of organising layers, windows explorer style i.e folders-subfolders.

basicly ive made a massive map and i want to show a build-up of work my company has completed over a period of about 5 years. each month i add the areas we have worked on to the map as a new layer then next month i add another layer adding the areas we've on that month. However the problem comes with the fact that i have to show about 7 to 10 different types of work each month each requiring a different layer, so that if at some point they says to me show me only the 0-5 work done in periond 6 year 2 i can go to period 6 year 2, turn off all but the 0-5 work and print it out. The way i see it is that i will need about 80 layers per year and that is going to be a tad awquard to work with after 2 years (do you know how many layers photoshop suports in total)

This is the result i want but by the sounds of it Photoshop cant offer this kind layer structuring.

do do know of any other software that would be of use.
    IP

im using Photoshop 5.5.

i just wanted to know if there was a way of organising layers, windows explorer style i.e folders-subfolders.

basicly ive made a massive map and i want to show a build-up of work my company has completed over a period of about 5 years. each month i add the areas we have worked on to the map as a new layer then next month i add another layer adding the areas we've on that month. However the problem comes with the fact that i have to show about 7 to 10 different types of work each month each requiring a different layer, so that if at some point they says to me show me only the 0-5 work done in periond 6 year 2 i can go to period 6 year 2, turn off all but the 0-5 work and print it out. The way i see it is that i will need about 80 layers per year and that is going to be a tad awquard to work with after 2 years (do you know how many layers photoshop suports in total)

This is the result i want but by the sounds of it Photoshop cant offer this kind layer structuring.

do do know of any other software that would be of use.
    IP

Only PS7 and up has the ability to create "Layer Groups" like you need. And PS8 will "apparently" be able to nest Layer groups within each other.
    IP

Like Mark said, you'll need Photoshop 7.
    Since you already have Photoshop 5.5.. I would advice you to buy the version 7 upgrade. It's only $139,99 US and you can't find a better product for that amount of money.
    IP