Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I just purchased WebStyle 4 a few weeks ago and have already been told that I have to pay $19.95 for an update. Does anyone else find this bad business?

I would have expected at least a year of free updates. So much for expectations!
    IP

joewebb1:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif How to Get rid of $$ on Templates http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

First: If you had installation problems you might not want to do this at all. For those brave enough, here is my suggestion. Remember you may have the same problems again.

Second: This is a concept I didn't have to do this. When I installed I did not press the button for product updates, because I read about it here. Thanks for the heads up.

1. Backup your projects folder if you want to retain your work. (Someone else can tell us how)

2. Completely remove webstyle.

3. ensure all templates/graphics are gone.

4. Reinstall the product/trial.

5. Unlock the product. Click on the arrow that is at the bottom of one of the graphics. For me this downloaded all the graphics.

6. I have the product with none of the extra $$s becauce I never pressed that button for update the product.

Now perhaps Xara can just show me all the new graphics available on a seperate webpage, because I am not going to be clicking on that button. I don't want to see those graphics that I won't order and can't get rid of over the next four years.

I feel lucky my installation went as smooth as silk.
    IP

DollFace, I was replying to JoeWebb1. By that I mean my comments were tailored to his points, and whilst you may not feel it answers your questions or reflects your views, I did feel it was an appropriate reply for his post.

I still maintain though, that what is advertised on the site is exactly what you get. Nowhere does it infer that you get more, or will get more. If you didn't know about that template pack, I'm sure you'd be happy with your current selection. You wouldn't think you were missing templates because it's totally everything you need in there. Extra templates are just for people who want more lalter on down the road.

However, I can certainly see your point about the $ signs, and I will pass this on to our technical team as a feature suggsestion.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You are like the proverbial company that sells new cars for $500.00 each. There is a catch, the cars have been modified to only run on a special fuel which is only available from them and they are charging $100 a gallon for it now <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see it the exact same way. Good analogy!

For FP User: Thank you for understanding my point and taking my concerns seriously. From your post, I am assuming you work for Xara and I would just like to say that I think they should hire more people like you. Customers don't like to feel like they don't matter. When we have a concern or an issue we like to be heard and understood. Threatening and ignoring a client is not the way to do business and that has been the response I've been getting from everyone else here. I appreciate you taking the time to truely listen to what we're saying!!

As for example s of other software companies, I have a few. All of them!! Web design software companies like MS Frontpage, Macromedia Dreamweaver, IBM home page builder all provide free updates and patches for as long as you use the software. Whenever their is an update available the customer is invited to use it for free, they even have special places on their website reserved for downloading updates and that's if it's not done automatically. Most of the companies (big or small) work that way. I have been a long time customer of Macromedia and Microsoft and throughout the years that I've used their softwares I never once had to pay to get an update on my version... ever!! Not one single brown penny. As for other companies, I would have to look but I am almost certain they work the same way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yes, I would be very interested to know of any similar editable-template based products and investigate them further - whether they continue to offer new templates for free or not! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kate, Considering you work for Xara, I would assume that would be part of your job. You should already be well aware of what your competitors are offering, it's business 101. It is not our job to research this and supply you with the information, it should already be done!! I'm sorry if I am being rude but I think you have a really bad attitiude towards the customers and our complaints. What exactly is your job? are you a moderator or do you work in the customer service department?? I find it hard to believe that they would hire someone with your attitude to represent them to their customers.

~The customer is always right!~ Remember that when dealing with customers. It's the building block of any and all successful companies!!
    DF
    IP

LOL, prefer being a spanner to a wrench thank you!
    My main gripe with Xara is that their own staff admitted in this very forum that the problem I had was a serious one and that he would get onto it straight away. I did not PAY money for a betta version! Yet the problems I had and others also, were only sorted out by Xara after the numerous complaints here on the forum. Xara support did not even have the decency to follow up my emails and postings, I was informed by a forum member! Not once have I received any form of contact from Xara saying, hey girl, sorry we stuffed up, sorry you could not use the software for 4 months, sorry the CDrom we sent you was faulty (and still not replaced!)sorry we did not notify you when this seriousproblem with OUR software was rectified http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/mad.gif Like I said before, Xara Webstyle4 was an expensive, pretty toy to play with and like all toys, very soon become placed in the dark dusty realms of one's toybox...
    IP

I just purchased WebStyle 4 a few weeks ago and have already been told that I have to pay $19.95 for an update. Does anyone else find this bad business?

I would have expected at least a year of free updates. So much for expectations!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FP-User:
    The thing they are working on is making it possible for people to add templates and themes themselves. Then users can share their new templates with each other if they want to. Look back a couple of posts where I have stuff in blue, for more detail. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi FP,

One of the reasons I'm a little peed off with Webstyle 4 (I think it's inferior to 3.1 because it lacks its functionality and they have tried to cram too much into the programme) is because one of the things which everyone, BUT everyone asked for in the newer versions, I've had them all, was to have a facility in Xara X to make then import/export templates into Webstyle.

I can't see that facility in X1, so I guess they aren't doing it. I've been around here since year dot, though dormant for the past couple of years.

Webstyle 4 isn't good and is full of bugs, and the functionality compared to previous versions is appaling, which is why there are so many people having problems. I can work round most of the problems and fiddle with html, but that shouldn't be the case with any NEW AND IMPROVED Xara product; they made their name through the software being easy to use, and now it isn't that easy.
    IP

That is a Fantastic Suggestion!!!

DF
    IP

I just bought Xara's Webstyle 4 and have never been so disappointed. I definitly would not recommend this company or it's products to anyone. I find it disgusting that they advertise having 1600 templates available and even showcase them in the trial version but once you puchase the software you only end up with about 10. The rest are titled "new" and require you to pay an additional $20 for each. That is false advertising and plain robbery.

We might as well buy a professional templates from a real designer for $5- $25. It's hassel free and it even costs us less.

I also think it's unfair that we have to have a link in our naviagtion menus back to Xara. I paid for this software in full and don't think I should be required to provide a link back to their site. That's ridiculous. Had I known this, I would have never thought twice about buying this software. It's absolutely ridiculous!

I previously purchased Xara 3D and have found it useless which is why this time I actually blame myself! I should have known better. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me!!!

Sincerely,
    An unsatisfied Customer!!
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I still maintain though, that what is advertised on the site is exactly what you get. Nowhere does it infer that you get more, or will get more. If you didn't know about that template pack, I'm sure you'd be happy with your current selection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just my point, we DO know about it because you've embedded it right into the software, it's hard not to know about it. But that really isn't even the issue. I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to have to uninstall my program and re-download the trial to prove my point! Yes, it's true that your "site" doesn't say we'll be getting anything more then what we got BUT in the trial version of the software all of the templates have a $$ next to them (with the exception of a few for trial purposes) and it specifically says that once we purchase the full version, all the templates will be made available. Once we bought it, yes they were all there but many had $$ next to them and are available to me only if I buy them. To me, I consider that misleading information. "All templates will be Available": to us meant they would be included in the purchase. "All templates will be available" to you guys meant they would be available at an additional price. It's misleading! Whatever way you look at it or try to justify it, the fact remains that you have many angry customers who believed they would be getting ALL TEMPLATES AVAILABLE!! Whatever you say won't change that and proves my point that you guys (not you necessarily) mislead us to believe we were getting soemthing more then what we really got. Otherwise you wouldn't have so many people complaining about the same issue. And again, it doesn't help to flash them in our face all the time. You should have a module store or something where customers can go and shop for new template packs, if they choose to do so. OR better yet, update the template selection and provide them for free. I know of over 100 designers that would probably donate at least one template each to Xara absolutly free. Just go to templatemonster.com or freewebtemplates.com, Hundreds of designers upload their work everyday and allow people to download it absolutly free. I'm sure you can find a couple of people to do the same for Xara. There's a solution to every problem, you just have to be willing to find it.

DF
    IP