Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Geez,

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

hi girls 'n guys,

I've just discoverd this forum - and it appears I've missed something.

ok, ok, I've been very seldom in the forums the last weeks, but definitely not because I don't use XARA anymore.

Since this is NewGear, I have a question...

Does anyone use a film scanner like the Nikon Coolpix? My brother and I are planning to purchase one of these nice gadgets to abandon our chemical darkroom and replace it with a digital darkroom. No, we don't use digicams, we use professional equipment for the shootings ;-} (because they feature 20 megapixels resolution).

Some input:

I've seen a trhead in the X forum about Linux and XARA X. Here is what I've discovered: rune WINE in Linux and install XARA X to run it. It works fine. http://www.winehq.org should answer all your questions.

Nevertheless, I would recommend XARA to port XARA X for Linux - it would be the ultimate killer app for the Linux world. Many users are looking for a Linux native vector app - hey XARA team, this is a hughe and rewarding niche for you!!!

I'm running my favourite CAD app with wine and it's running stable, fast as in the 'native' Win environment.

Having problems with typing? Consider 'Ultimate Shell' -> http://www.flashpeak.com. It works with **any** wordprocessor. But if you use Xara, you should reconfigure the shortcuts like F8 to ALT+F8, otherwise i.e. the text tool won't work anymore ;-}

The Gimp (the Pimp?) - hm, following this thread I wondered why the Linux users of you don't use the free Corel Photopaint for Linux. http://www.linux.corel.com. I'm still using Photopaint version 7 (!) in W2K Pro, and that's all I need for my photo editing, conversions etc. However, I have not too much experience with the Linux version, so I can't tell if it's a drag in speed or not.

The Dogwaffle Project - does it run stable? Does it feature an Uninstall Utility? Does anyone know if it will use Visual Basic (if so I won't install it at all).

OK, that's it for today. Thumbs up and as always: No, I'm not affiliated with any of the companies or orgs I've mentioned in this post ;-} (I'm mentioning this because I don't want to be viewed as a spammer...<sigh>)

All the best, and in case I shouldn't pop in here the next day: A Happy New Year!

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

hi girls 'n guys,

I've just discoverd this forum - and it appears I've missed something.

ok, ok, I've been very seldom in the forums the last weeks, but definitely not because I don't use XARA anymore.

Since this is NewGear, I have a question...

Does anyone use a film scanner like the Nikon Coolpix? My brother and I are planning to purchase one of these nice gadgets to abandon our chemical darkroom and replace it with a digital darkroom. No, we don't use digicams, we use professional equipment for the shootings ;-} (because they feature 20 megapixels resolution).

Some input:

I've seen a trhead in the X forum about Linux and XARA X. Here is what I've discovered: rune WINE in Linux and install XARA X to run it. It works fine. http://www.winehq.org should answer all your questions.

Nevertheless, I would recommend XARA to port XARA X for Linux - it would be the ultimate killer app for the Linux world. Many users are looking for a Linux native vector app - hey XARA team, this is a hughe and rewarding niche for you!!!

I'm running my favourite CAD app with wine and it's running stable, fast as in the 'native' Win environment.

Having problems with typing? Consider 'Ultimate Shell' -> http://www.flashpeak.com. It works with **any** wordprocessor. But if you use Xara, you should reconfigure the shortcuts like F8 to ALT+F8, otherwise i.e. the text tool won't work anymore ;-}

The Gimp (the Pimp?) - hm, following this thread I wondered why the Linux users of you don't use the free Corel Photopaint for Linux. http://www.linux.corel.com. I'm still using Photopaint version 7 (!) in W2K Pro, and that's all I need for my photo editing, conversions etc. However, I have not too much experience with the Linux version, so I can't tell if it's a drag in speed or not.

The Dogwaffle Project - does it run stable? Does it feature an Uninstall Utility? Does anyone know if it will use Visual Basic (if so I won't install it at all).

OK, that's it for today. Thumbs up and as always: No, I'm not affiliated with any of the companies or orgs I've mentioned in this post ;-} (I'm mentioning this because I don't want to be viewed as a spammer...<sigh>)

All the best, and in case I shouldn't pop in here the next day: A Happy New Year!

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I really wanted to make a go of Linux again but for me it's just not ready for prime time IMHO! XaraX would not run under Wine, even one of the development techies couldn't get it to run under his system and he knows WINE backwards and forwards. It had most everything to do with the Xara font. Anyway, too much of a hassle. Glad you got you CAD prog. to run under WINE, excellent!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

DogWaffle, hmmm, played with that all of about 5 minutes and put it away. I think someone in the New Gear thread mentioned that it was much like an older program that ran on like Win 3.2 or something, I have to agree, I never used anything less than Win95 but DW is pretty rudimentary but it pretty smooth in it's rendering capabilities!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The Gimp is a good program but I HATE the interface, I think the creator is a fool for not giving an option of a regular "Windows" type of interface of his messy dialogs all over the place and all that search forever, right click menus stuff. ICK!! Some have complained about rendering issues and export quality stuff as well! No thanks!!

My room mate has a negative film scanner, let me ask him. Ok I asked and here it is:
    Minolta: Dimage Scan Dual II (af-2820u) Minolta Search for Camera Accessories/Digital Film Scanners

Happy New Year to ya! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Please post if you do find and buy a good film scanner. They are becoming more popular and less expensive each year.

I have been considering buying one, though I would need one that also scans medium format, and those are super-expensive at this time.

I shoot with Nikon 35mm and Minolta 645 equipment. I have hundreds of transparencies I'd like to convert to digital before any gross color shifting or fading starts to occur.

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jens g.r. benthien:

Does anyone use a film scanner like the Nikon Coolpix?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Jens,

I have a Nikon Coolscan 4000. It is a fantastic piece of equipment. I've had it for over a year and have scanned film and transparancies. I also bought the aps adaptor which I've only used a couple of times. The most impressive thing is the digital ice software for restoring color to old film and removing the grain and imperfections from the negative. It will scan an image at 4000 ppi in about 45 seconds. When using digital ice it takes closer to 10 minutes.

I just noticed that Nikon is giving a $200 rebate on this scanner...the scanner also comes with Genuine Fractals, which I've found very useful when enlarging some of my lower resolution digital images.

Regards, Joel

[This message was edited by Joel Schilling on January 31, 2003 at 08:18.]