Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This seems like a pretty basic problem, so I'm hoping others can easily shoot me back the solution--if there is a solution. The situation is, I'll start w a picture f a background, then add a photo object imported from a computer file--e.g., a lake w mountains background and import a hippo onto it. Fine. Then we draw roller skates (using the freehand draw tool) on the hippo's feet. O.K. But the hangup occurs when I try to move &/or resize the edited image. When the hippo is moved or resized, the roller skates invariably stay put and will not move with the beast! I've tried marquee-selecting the whole hippo, then using Select All, or Combine Shapes, or Add Shapes,or making sure the pic is saved before trying to move anything, or just about all I can imagine to accomplish the task, but anytime I try to move a photo that's been added on to, the basic photo is all that moves. Simple question, eh?
    Thanks for your time and attention to detail!
    IP

This seems like a pretty basic problem, so I'm hoping others can easily shoot me back the solution--if there is a solution. The situation is, I'll start w a picture f a background, then add a photo object imported from a computer file--e.g., a lake w mountains background and import a hippo onto it. Fine. Then we draw roller skates (using the freehand draw tool) on the hippo's feet. O.K. But the hangup occurs when I try to move &/or resize the edited image. When the hippo is moved or resized, the roller skates invariably stay put and will not move with the beast! I've tried marquee-selecting the whole hippo, then using Select All, or Combine Shapes, or Add Shapes,or making sure the pic is saved before trying to move anything, or just about all I can imagine to accomplish the task, but anytime I try to move a photo that's been added on to, the basic photo is all that moves. Simple question, eh?
    Thanks for your time and attention to detail!
    IP

As I understand your problem you're trying to select a bitmap background,a bitmap hippo and then vector skates, and then move them around the page as one group is that right?

The only way I could replicate the problem was to put one of the objects onto a separate layer and then make it uneditable. If everything is on the same layer then either the marquee or select all should select everything, you could then try Grouping (Not Combine or Add Shapes)the objects to get them to stay together.

If this isn't the solution I'd recommend posting the question on the Xara X group.

Hope this is helpful

Lottie
    IP

Yo, Lottie!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I hadn't thought a whole lot about the bitmap v. vector issue, and your comment about making sure everything's on 1 layer before trying to move (in all my attempts it was not) makes good sense.
    Back to the Xara board, try it again. Thanks!
    IP

I don't think it's the layers as such that are the problem more if one of them is locked/uneditable. You can certainly select objects on different layers and move them as one. Also whether the layers contain bitmaps or vectors shouldn't really matter as they're just objects, unless a bitmaps' background covers objects below it.

Lottie
    IP

Shift + Click to select objects you want to tie together. Ctrl + g = group, Ctrl + u = ungroup.

Practice good housekeeping rules, place grouped objects on the same layer, use logical layer names so you can easily located layers/groups/objects as your document gains complexity.
    IP

Just a note. When you group objects that are on different layers, everything will be moved to the current layer. If you want to move objects at the same time from different layers, shift select but don't group.

Mickie
    IP