Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been practicing with my new XaraX, and discovered that when I slice a leaf shape to represent veination, I lose the fill. In Xara2, the (graduated) fill remains, and I'm free to change/modify it in the new, sliced object as well as the older objects. How do I get a similar behavior in XaraX?
    Bob Bollini

I've been practicing with my new XaraX, and discovered that when I slice a leaf shape to represent veination, I lose the fill. In Xara2, the (graduated) fill remains, and I'm free to change/modify it in the new, sliced object as well as the older objects. How do I get a similar behavior in XaraX?
    Bob Bollini

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Anyone have any ideas on Mr. Oyster's observation?

I personally don't have any ideas but that doesn't stop me from posting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I felt I had to get this thread higher up the top of the cue. Mr. Oyster is new here and he deserves some assistance! (Plus he's physically only a mile or two away from me and I'm afraid he might come after me if this Forum isn't any help!).

Welcome to the Xara Forums Bob!
    Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Hi Bob (Mr. Oyster)

I'm using XaraX 1.0c and the fill did not change when I sliced it using a line drawn with the pen tool.
    http://eighthfire.dreamwater.com/slicedleaf.jpg

And I could manipulate the fill in each of the segments.
    http://eighthfire.dreamwater.com/slicedleaf2.jpg

Hope this helps enough to keep Ross out of trouble [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Any fill remains intact after slicing and can be modified afterwards.

Are you running the latest version 1.0c?

If you are on 1.0b - download the patch from xara.com and give it another try. If it still doesn't work, post a simple example in .xar format so we can see excactly what you are attempting to do.

Funny - it seems to be working just fine.

Don't go crazy now and hunt Ross down. He is needed here, to keep us all in line. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

Try to slice with a line which has the "chain" brush applied. That adds interesting effects.

I have also tried with and without shadows applied to the object toslice. When shadow is applied, slicing automatically converts the shadowed object to editable shape and thus slice the shadow like a bitmap. Very interesting shortcut! And if you want to preserve the true shadows, apply them after slicing.

Regards,

ivan

I'd like to post a simple .XAR to illustrate how/what I'd like to slice or divide. How do I put such an illustration on the list?
    B.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Mr. Oyster in Halifax - this is Mr. Macintosh in Dartmouth. To post a xara file is easy. You use the same method as for jpgs or gifs.

That is: When you are on the message creation page you'll note there is an option for posting attachments that you have to check. With that done, and you've filled out the form with your message, by clicking the "post now" button you will see a message that your post has been received followed by a form asking you to identify the file you want to upload. Follow the instructions and it should work fine.

Note that Talkgraphics.com has a "test" forum where you can try posting attachments, polls, using the instant smilies or the instant UBB code. You can find the test forum here.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

OK, I'll give it a shot. If the rectangle were a leaf,how would I draw/manipulate the lines such that I divide it into 13 (I think) pieces in one operation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bob,

This is very easy to do:

(1) Convert line to shape (on the lines)
    (2) Keep them selected perform "add shapes"
    (3) Select your newely created shape and the rectangle and do "subtract shapes".
    (4) Do "break shape"

Viola'

13 shapes with the fill preserved.

Let me know if you understood my instructions.

I learnt this from Gary's "Stained Glass" tutorial on the xaraxone.

Risto