Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Publishing

If I have a site created with WebStyle 4 and Front Page 2003 and I'm at a brand new computer (the site not created on this new computer) can I publish successfully the site to the new remote location (new computers hard drive) and then edit it it in WebStyle 4 without a problem???

I've tried doing this a it seems to download okay onto the new computer and when I open the site in FrontPage 2003 and as example click on Nav Bar to edit it does open up WebStyle4 but only opens the software in the main page and does not actually go into the menu nav bar section for editing.

Thanks

If I have a site created with WebStyle 4 and Front Page 2003 and I'm at a brand new computer (the site not created on this new computer) can I publish successfully the site to the new remote location (new computers hard drive) and then edit it it in WebStyle 4 without a problem???

I've tried doing this a it seems to download okay onto the new computer and when I open the site in FrontPage 2003 and as example click on Nav Bar to edit it does open up WebStyle4 but only opens the software in the main page and does not actually go into the menu nav bar section for editing.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chickenman:

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although you can copy the exported files from the hard drive of one computer to another you cannot edit the elements within the page by loading the copied page into FrontPage and selecting to edit a particular element. You will encounter the behaviour you have described.

This is because the project files associated with the particular element cannot be found.

You would need to copy the project folder in which the elements of the page were saved from the wstemplates folder of computer 1 to the wstemplates folder of computer 2. This will then allow the elements within the page to be editable from computer 2

Thanks

What if computer #1 crashes and you didn't copy the project folder to any seconadary media would that mean you have lost the means to edit anything.

If this is the case what do you suggest to prevent this from happenig.

The reason I ask this is because when I first started having problem with Ws4 I did copy a project I was working on to another hard drive (just as backup) Th eproblems with the origianl project just got worse and worse so I deleted the original project folder and then made a new one and then copies the backed up copy into the project again.

To this day I still can't edit all pages in the project. The worst part about it and I don't know hy this happens but when I try to edit page 3 I always get an error that WebStyle 4 has encountered a problem and will shut down. I've tried deleting this page and creating a new one and the same thing happens again.

I've done the same site over 6 times just for this reason.

There have been other issues with your software and some of those problem shave been corrected.

Please help as I'm at the end of my rope trying to figure this out.

Thanks for all your previous help.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chickenman:
    What if computer #1 crashes and you didn't copy the project folder to any seconadary media would that mean you have lost the means to edit anything.

If this is the case what do you suggest to prevent this from happening.

<font color ="#8C9CD5">We recommend backing up the WSTemplates folder on a regular basis to ensure you can recover from the situation you describe. You can either backup the entire folder or all project folders within the WSTemplates folder </font>

The reason I ask this is because when I first started having problem with Ws4 I did copy a project I was working on to another hard drive (just as backup) Th eproblems with the origianl project just got worse and worse so I deleted the original project folder and then made a new one and then copies the backed up copy into the project again.

To this day I still can't edit all pages in the project. The worst part about it and I don't know hy this happens but when I try to edit page 3 I always get an error that WebStyle 4 has encountered a problem and will shut down. I've tried deleting this page and creating a new one and the same thing happens again.
    <font color ="#8C9CD5">Try deleting the project folder in question from cpu #1
    Then copy the project folder you backed up to the wstemplates folder on cpu #1

Then open webstyle and select projects and select the project folder and click on a template in the project folder</font>

I tried that nd it still won't work. I've created this same site about 7 times now.
    Is there not a better way or is there some type of fix coming.

Thanks
    Please reply