Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piranesi ...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

That looks charming. Doing something like that in Piranesi would likely have been quicker and taken less planning - In that sense if you had a need for such renderings it could be cost effective.

Would such loose styles of rendering ever be useful in selling your designs?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Would such loose styles of rendering ever be useful in selling your designs? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, but I don't think so - at least not at this very moment: the clients expect something elaborate, or they will tell you 'hey, our layouter can do that?!'. They exptect hi-tech equipment, and when they see what I present the room is silent - until I break the silence. This is what I call 'the moment of surprise and suspension'.

I prefer to use the 'handmade' approach with scribbles, sketches, rough surface paper, markers etc (faster than anything else because there is no boot time involved), but for as a door opener the real sharp renderings printed on 75 x 50 cm (30 inch x 20 inch) glossy photo paper are simply the best.

At least that's my personal experience. In addition I think the clients need something they can imagine - something that's almost tangible. I found out that many engineers can't translate a drawing into a final stage (which I have to admit really **is** tough). So I give them what no one else has given them before. Even the first paper pusher (or pencil dick) in the hierarchy will know what I am talking about when he sees the large hi res prints: 99% think these are photographs, and I don't tell them that it's 'only' bits & bytes.

And about the time involved to complete this pic: just a few minutes. I guess with Piranesi you'll have almost endless options, and before you will be satisfied with the settings and effect you want to achieve you've already spent an hour or two...

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

That work looks good, jens. I like it.

Gidge, those images came with the Piranesi cd.

Ross, time and use by others from different fields will tell if Piranesi can prove itself worthy to be included in any 3Der's bag of tricks.

I feel that Architecture will always stick to the traditional natural-media renderings. Our work is different from Jens' creations coz his involves things you can see up close or in your hand.

Jen's example involves basic shapes and lines. In the context of his specialty, if I where the client, I wouldn't be impressed with that drawing if it were a model. All because I would like to see a close to realistic representation of the item I will be manufacturing and marketing. This is were the computer graphic 3Ders are tops.

In an architectural world, it goes more than that coz it involves a design that may range in size from 100 square feet to a couple of hundred acres wide by 100 storeys high complete with complex shapes, details, sun orientation shading as well as landscaping, people, cars and endless detail. If we were creating a movie or walk-in computer model, 3Dimension graphics will work. But for a still, it looks kinda different.

With Piranesi, it's possible to achieve the traditional natural media look and feel. Take a look at the first image - doesn't it look like it was rendered by airbrush on a textured artcard? That's a norm in Architecture.

I agree, jens - for a pencil pusher, it's not that easy to convert ideas to paper and finally to actual model. For me it's just as worse coz I have to make the building come alive in all it's glory in relation to it's natural surroundings. Not to mention that I sometimes have a floor plan and side elevation to work with. Measurements, I have to calculate based on building norms and laws.

Here's a couple of my work. This is done by hand, color by Photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kinamount.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	19621  

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I meant that the guys in the marketing departments don't have the imagination to transform a sketched image into a final product - sorry if I couldn't express it better. When I say paper pusher I mean CEOs - not creative guys. The CEOs know numbers, figures, balance sheets, but only few of them are interested in drawings. They live in a distant reality compared to us. See what I mean? They purchase and own a camera, but hardly know how to use it. And for these guys a realistic rendering makes sense, because it's what they are used to.

I agree with you - in architecture it's different. Your work looks great, and I wish I could dive a bit deeper into that area, but I know I will get stuck pretty soon because of being too perfect at an early stage. However, if I could use sketches I might perform a bit better - still have to use my hands when it comes to the basics because no computer can generate ideas 'on the fly'...

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I understood your thought. Me being a non-architect, It takes a while before I can have a good idea of the job at hand.

Oh yes, I know the feeling of dealing with the executives. Most especially in advertising and graphic design. The end result art is theirs and not yours. The design's character which is usually the grahic artist's diminishes when a client gets his hands and ideas into it.

And yes, nothing will beat an idea put by hand in paper. Saves time and easy to alter with an eraser, hehehe.

By the way, did my image upload well? A box shows on my response.

Here's another done in Corel. Landscaping painted in later with watercolour and gouache. This was one job in which I had only a ground development plan and a side elevation to work with.

I wonder how these would look in Piranesi? I'll have to find a past work done in Autocad to try it out.

vee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JpnOvrAllPrspctvFinal.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	18801  

Actually... i really like the look of those types of non-traditional 3D renderings. Illustrative rendering has a look all it's own, and i like the look of it -- clean precise lines from the models, but a hand-made quality from the style of render.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"

Hiya, Mark. I'd say Piranesi comes close in creating a hand-made style on the computer. I believe other graphic artists will find it useful if they want a hand-made look in their work.

dv8