Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opening my new copy of Computer Arts - "Britain's biggest-selling creative magazine" - I find this ad for XaraX. Jeez, what a crappy ad for such a professional magazine! Are Xara hell-bent on suicide?! I've said this before: why don't Xara hire a *real* designer to do their ads?

My fellow X-Men - what do *you* think of this kind of promotion?

K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lousy_XaraX_ad.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	17496  
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Opening my new copy of Computer Arts - "Britain's biggest-selling creative magazine" - I find this ad for XaraX. Jeez, what a crappy ad for such a professional magazine! Are Xara hell-bent on suicide?! I've said this before: why don't Xara hire a *real* designer to do their ads?

My fellow X-Men - what do *you* think of this kind of promotion?

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Now Klaus,
    You KNOW you've seen worse. But you would have no doubt done a better version. You could do one now, but if you do, you should use many of the amazing techniques discovered by forum members. On the other hand, Is that a great way to spend your time. Plus, weren't you going to test Camtasia ?? I think that could be important.
    Regards,,,,,,,,,,,Tad (we will find the pages)

.................. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ..............

Klaus,

I just say: look at the CD-cover of Xara X.

Does the ad look better now ?? ;-))

Wolfgang

"Tone and manner", in other words the appearance or packaging of an advertisement is as important as the content of the ad itself as it colors or affects how the reader interprets the information.

The tone and manner of the ad presents the reader with an impression of the company behind the product as well as the product being offered.

Personally, I would have preferred a cleaner design, but on the other hand, the ad is directed at Web site designers and so perhaps the tone and manner of the ad is correct as it is designed in the manner of a Web site.

Just my 2 cents ($US).

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Per Wolfgang:

"I just say: look at the CD-cover of Xara X.

Does the ad look better now ?? ;-))"

Any time I get discouraged about my own work, I just go grab the CD case and instantly feel much better.

joroho
    Wise men still seek Him.

I think you guys are being rather hard on the CD cover. I kind of like it.

And, I have certainly seen worse designs. Ones with hot air balloons come to mind [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

On the negative side I see text that doesn't fit in the balloons, I see a black and a blueish cell at the bottom with heights that don't have anything to do with one-another (no creation of depth...) and a "COM" that must come from another ad.
    On the positive side I see an ad that is DIFFERENT, that has peaceful colours, that has a playful aspect in it whith even a hint at Jugendstil. If I didn't have Xara, this ad would make ME download a trial version.

I am not interested in the cover of the CD because I do never look at it as long as my PC doen't urge me to re-install Xara. And if it did hinder me, I'd make a personal cover. In Xara.

This is also the last time I react on this kind of topic as it isn't even worth the minutes you put into typing a reaction.

Perhaps Xara could come up with a series of ads - a frame which then showcases different intriguing images that you can do with XaraX - like you see in this forum. The serious graphic artist might think "Wow, how did they do that?".

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

The ad looks like a menu from a cheap Pizza joint.

The CD cover looks like a napkin that someone sneezed in.

There is some stuff posted here in the forums that are so much more original, that I think would have done a better job promoting the product.

Risto