Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

www.dcdesign.bitinet.com

Hey, sorry about that, see if this hits the mark. Now I know Im in for it!!!

I think Im going to be busy?

Thanks list
    Dave C
    IP

www.dcdesign.bitinet.com

Hey, sorry about that, see if this hits the mark. Now I know Im in for it!!!

I think Im going to be busy?

Thanks list
    Dave C
    IP

I like the simplicity of the design, and the links are intuitive--my biggest gripe would be the intro page -- they're generally frowned upon, where good design is concerned -- thanks for the skip link, though--I hate when there's an intro and no hope of skipping it ! :-)
    IP

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Hello Dave,

Looks good, except theis no difference in the mouseover and mouseout for your animation link.
    John/DOT
    IP

This is all just my opinion and preferences, although I may state it like facts below. Just think about it.

I find that the intro, demonstrated a whole bunch of techniques, but wouldn't impress me to hire you. "Here is my message", prompted me to say to myself, Of course it is, who else's message is it. Just forget that part, it's too slow in any case. The squeeze your budget was good in that it illustrates your point. You have not shown very good use of a color theme. A bunch of effects on a white background doesn't "move me" to hire you.

On the first page, your four boxes look to me like you don't know how to use tables for layout very well. The white space on the bottom left and right, and top right is oddly placed. How about making the words appear beside the photos instead of under them.

The meaning of the puzzle, is not apparent unless someone mouses over it.

Website design page.

The page is missing your Dave Cotton Branding, which is one of your best designs. Once on the page I don't have any label on the page to tell me where I am.

"NOTHING DOWN HERE" this seems quirky, I'd remove it.

You have the following two statement on the design page.

If I build it will they come?

Why do I need a website?

The "I" in the first case is Dave Cotton and in the second case is the customer.

The first one is too brash, ie conceited and you have not given any indications why they will come.

The second one is followed by a pencil where the client can put their text. That is irrelevent to the topic, which is really the paragragh on the top right. But who would know. People need to know instantly, not go through some searching. So move the Title on top of the text it relates too.

The theme of the "website design" page, should be to explain web design. Why you need webdesign doesn't fit into the theme of the page. It is, in scope, above webdesign as a large level abstraction. Make that topic a page of it's own.

What you show on this page is a collection of design elements.

Navigation Bars, you put your best nav bar the little blue button, hanging under gold bar under the Headings and buttons location instead of under Nav Bars. You put the pencil which I personally find repulsive under the Navigation bars. Dave I am not trying to hurt your feelings, I wish you all the best. I hope you appreciate my honesty which is intended for that purpose. Let me get back to the theme at hand. I also find that green color of the verticle menu under the pencil ugly, and therefor again "I am not moved".

The big picture, I'm talking around is theme. Look up theme in the dictionary please, become very familiar with what it means. This is what is weak here, and you need to sort out. You would easily choose the theme of all the design elements for your client if say they had a fishing lodge. The theme for your own page, is a much more difficult thing to peg down. Here are too more points to illustrate theme. Repeating from your flash intro.

1. Each message used a different flash effect, they didn't follow a single theme, and they were all different colors, instead of using the color in a consistent way.

2. On the top of your design website page you have 3 blue bars. None of the content below that follows the layout illustrated by the blue bars.

Check out color picker pro for some nice ideas about putting colors together. Your colors are unique, but they don't say, I'm the best without words.

I think by just good/bad luck I picked on your worst page, I like most of the other pages better.

I would put your Dave Cotton from the top of most of the pages onto your intro page instead of what you have there.

"The presence of a website has more benefits than first appreciated. Not only does it just look good on all your stationary, " you have a grammar problem with this statement, as it not the website that goes on the stationary, it's the web address. Frankly, that is a minor point. Move it to the end and work with this idea. A domain name for your company is easier to remember than a telephone number if a prospective client loses your business card, or sees your company vehicle on the highway.

Those who cannot do teach. Best of luck.

One more thing, take this out "After serving a five year apprenticeship as a Toolmaker at the GEC Stafford,"

You put it number one on your resume, sortaspeak and it's irrelevent to this work. I prefere this page where all the page contents appear on the light orange background. I also like the little blue line compared to the thick blue lines, it's more stylish and less boxy. I didn't read everything, but that's twice I've spotted that your put the most insignificant items first.

Listing the software that your have used, as familiar with, is unimpressive. Replace with "Your website is designed using these state of the art website and graphic products."

Talk about them and what you can do for them, and what you have done for other clients. Not so much about yourself. 98% of people are insecure and they think you are bragging any time you talk about yourself.
    IP

Now that is some constructive critisism... I have seen a responce that long since somebody went off on there soap box for a while.

Dave you you thank FP-User just for typing all that!
    John/DOT
    IP

JohnR,
    Perhaps you should read the "spell checker" thread in the X1 forum ... or better yet download one ... I almost feel like translating

FP-User,
    Tell us what you REALLY think!

Dave,
    Now that I've picked on John and FP-User (notice I left the little crawfish fellar alone) ... I would have to agree that everything you have read on this page is essentially correct. I hate that some of your first contact on this forum is less than overwhelmingly positive ... but you asked for the truth, and you received it. Not that your site is without merit ... you just need a bit of tweaking to stand above the crowd and make the investment you've made in the url and time spent to develop it pay off. I'm not qualified to tell you precisely what needs to be done ... these other gentlemen are. Please heed their advise with open ears and a clear mind. Use their freely given guidance as a springboard for better business, and ask as many questions as you can ... the wealth of information here is astounding.

I'll get off of my soapbox here by saying ... Welcome to TalkGraphics Dave ... hope we haven't scared you off.
    IP

"Perhaps you should read the "spell checker" thread in the X1 forum ... or better yet download one ... I almost feel like translating " -Ed

Hi Mr Ed,

You are so right. but I haven't found one yet in this here forum.
    John/DOT
    IP

I,m surprised you don't mention Xara Webstyle 4
    as the majority of your graphics are from that package including your own logo.
    Good luk with your business
    David Scott
    IP

Dave Cotton, Where are you? Why don't you reply? Come on buddy, you can do it. We want you to succeed and we are happy to help.

OklaEd, We are all qualified to give our opinions. When the day is done we can't make everyone happy, but some actual customers will have the same opinions as we do. Most websurfers can't do any web design or programming. Dave here has several tools that he knows how to use and I don't. People with no ability in any of these areas can still give us valuable feedback. I'm proof of that.
    IP